Happy New Year, How Are Your Dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pafjlh, Jan 1, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have to ask this question because in my area I have to worry about my dogs every New Years Eve. You see in my neighborhood they love to just make all sorts of noise. We have an organization about a mile up the street that has a cannon that they fire off at midnight. Have neighbors who fire off guns (yes I know against the law, but tell them that) and other who set off fire crackers, also against the law to set off but hey you can buy them. That makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it.

Anyway, this has always spooked my dogs in the past. Buddy and Oso are no exception, they too don't like hearing all this noise that is associated with New Years Eve or New Years day in my area. I was wondering if any of you have this same issue on that night and if its a problem for your beloved Canine.

pafjlh, Jan 1, 2013
  2. pafjlh

claudine Well-Known Member

I worry about this every year and every year Homer sleeps like a baby during the whole night:) . When he wants to sleep, he sleeps and nothing can stop him:p . He barks when he hears fireworks during the day though.

claudine, Jan 1, 2013
  3. pafjlh

argon_0 Well-Known Member

This event must be annoying for you every year. Rather than you enjoying bringing in the New Year you are a little apprehensive.
    I heard on our local TV station that putting on classical music, I guess soothing music they mean, can help.
    I'm fortunate where I am we have only the noise of the native wildlife that live outside and the wind.
    Plus the noise of fireworks on the TV but that noise can be controlled.

argon_0, Jan 1, 2013
  4. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I wish I lived in some of your areas. I'm sure Buddy and Oso really do. The poor things probably don't understand why all this noise is happening in the middle of the night. At least I know what is going on and why, my dogs aren't so lucky. So, every year there I am ringing in the New Year, whether I want to or not, and usually I don't I would rather go to bed, but thanks to the noise in my neighborhood that isn't an option, for me or my dogs.

pafjlh, Jan 2, 2013
  5. pafjlh

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I have similar issues with my lab, Flomar. He is extremely afraid of fireworks in general and usually becomes sick after a short period of exposure to them. I can't say that we have had much issue where I live on New Year's. However, the 4th of July is an entirely different story.

Shepherd, Jan 2, 2013
  6. pafjlh

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Thanks pafjlh, & may you & yours have a healthy, Happy New Year!

I feel for all animals that are subjected to this & other frightening noise So far, Bobbi only cocks her head when she hears them. My folks had a wonderful little mix of Lasha Apso & Maltese, Meisha & she would shake at the beeper on the microwave or bread machine. Fireworks were so hard on her. She would end up on the floor of the bathroom, & they played a radio quite loud & the clothes dryer in the adjacent room was also turned on. The vet did suggest a half tablet of antihistamine to relax her - it didn't seem to do much good.

SweetBeast, Jan 5, 2013
  7. pafjlh

Jessi Well-Known Member

Our dog hasn't really been exposed to that much, so I don't have to worry about him on NYE.

I always feel so bad for those dogs whose owners take them out into public on holidays like this. Then they hear the fireworks up close and it surely hurts their ears and startles them because they tend to freak out.

Jessi, Jan 7, 2013
  8. pafjlh

haopee Well-Known Member

I actually have two issues. One is some of the dogs are scared of fireworks... and the other is that some dogs are just too curious about it while it's doing its "fire works" and think that the whistles in the whistle bomb is something that's calling them.

Fortunately, I came prepared with an arsenal of hiding places they can stay comfortably in until the New Year is done. The scaredy dogs remained inside while the brave little Shih Tzu almost gave me a heart attack (4 or 5 actually)

haopee, Jan 7, 2013
  9. pafjlh

I heard an awful story - my parent's friend took her dog for a walk during New Year's Eve and he got so scared that he started to run randomly down the street. She is still looking for him. I really don't understand why she was so thoughtless. I wonder what happened to this poor dog:(

claudine, Jan 7, 2013
  10. pafjlh

Jessi Well-Known Member

Did she not have the dog on a leash? Usually when you go for a walk, there's a leash involved. Did it drop out of her hand when he bolted?

Jessi, Jan 8, 2013
  11. pafjlh

No, the problem is she didn't have the dog on a leash. He wasn't scared of fireworks before, he is well trained and it's the first time he ran away. I don't want to offend her but I think what she did was really stupid:mad: . I really hope somebody took care of this dog, I feel so sorry for him:(

claudine, Jan 8, 2013
  12. pafjlh

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think that people forget that dogs are animals. No matter how well-trained they are, they have instincts and fears, too. They aren't immune to having animal instincts that cause them to react.

And yes, I tend to agree. Maybe she wasn't stupid, but she obviously wasn't thinking very clearly.

Jessi, Jan 8, 2013
  13. pafjlh

haopee Well-Known Member

This is the reason why it's still important to leash the dog in walks. Of course, leashed or not, some dogs are very capable of escaping when they are gaped with fear. I do hope she tagged and microchipped the dog so that when someone finds him, they get to immediately return him to his home.

Some dogs just miraculously come back. I've read of stories of dogs getting returned after 8 years of absence. I hope she stays positive.

haopee, Jan 9, 2013
  14. pafjlh

After 8 years?o_O It's a miracle. I hope she won't have to wait that long though...
    I always leash my Homer in walks, I don't make any exceptions. I would be too scared he could see a cat or another dog or get scared of something and run away. I couldn't sleep if I didn't know he is safe:(

claudine, Jan 9, 2013
  15. pafjlh

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes. And there was also this story of a dog who was returned after 5 years. What happened was when the dog was brought to the vet by the current owners, the vet tech scanned his microchip to double check whether the rightful owners were the one who brought him in. When they discovered that the dog has been missing for a while, the vet tech called the original owners and have them meet. It was a sad day for the current owners as they were really close to this dog, but they had to give him back because it was the right thing to do.

haopee, Jan 17, 2013
  16. pafjlh

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs are weird. They aren't scared or bothered by fireworks at all. They used to bark at them, but they just don't pay any mind to them anymore, which is highly unusual for dogs. We had fireworks going off constantly for the past month every time the Ravens won a game (I'm in Baltimore), and tons of fireworks on sunday when they won the superbowl. My dogs noticed, but they didn't seem to care.

Nick87, Feb 6, 2013
Ask a Question