Golden Retrievers Sent to Comfort Sandy Hook Survivors

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Dec 18, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

What happened was very painful. A lot of people grieved and experienced the pain of losing an innocent loved one.

Therapy dogs are amazing and I'm glad that they were able to visit the Newtown survivors to help in comforting these people and to distract them from the sadness and devastation the event has caused.

haopee, Dec 18, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was really unhappy, my heart was broken and I couldn't focus on anything, I thought that nothing will cheer me up. It was a very dark time for me. But what helped a little was stroking my Homer. I don't know why but this was the only thing that was making me feel a little better. I hope these dogs will be able to help them.

claudine, Dec 18, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dogs can give you something that people perhaps can't. I guess they don't have the informed information to make their love complex. Unconditional love.
    The people affected can feel something else even if momentary without having to share painful memories and words to express grief. :(

argon_0, Dec 19, 2012
  4. haopee

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I am so glad that Homer was there for you then, as he is for you now, claudine. I believe one reason they are so comforting is that they are not judgmental, they accept us for who we are, in the good times & the sad times. There is no doubt in my mind, that our furry families know when we are down & will work with us for a better tomorrow.

SweetBeast, Dec 20, 2012
  5. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I have no idea why it helped. He wasn't doing anything special, he was just ignoring me most of the time. But stroking him and him being close was very comforting. So I was just sitting there with him for hours every day - and I healed slowly.

claudine, Dec 20, 2012
  6. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Having a dog around can really help you through a bad time. I remember one time I was upset over something and Oso happen to be in the room. He jumped up and started to lick me, as if he knew I was upset. Dogs can be a great source of comfort to people during hard times. I think its great that many of these therapy dogs were sent to Newtown, right now they could use the support of a caring loving dog.

pafjlh, Dec 20, 2012
  7. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very true. Dogs don't understand why you're sad....they just know that you're not happy and want to cheer you up. And their love is certain unconditional. They are there for you no matter what.

Jessi, Dec 20, 2012
  8. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I could agree that dogs can help in making people happy or feel relieved. Our fur friends can sense what we are feeling and can help us to feel comforted or feel loved.

zararina, Dec 21, 2012
  9. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I saw that as soon as the news came out. I am in full favor of sending in the dogs to comfort the people there. All kinds of dogs can have therapeutic effect but I think Golden Retrievers are especially good at this kind of thing. I have met only a couple of Goldens in real life but they are absolutely the friendliest dogs in caninedom. Not a single bit of aggression in them. I hope the people there will be able to heal their hurt faster with the help of the Goldens.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2012
Ask a Question