Getting Angry at the Dog Doesn't Stop the Behavior

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by haopee, Mar 16, 2012.

1. haopee

Corzhens Well-Known Member

So what do you suggest we do with our hyperactive pug? If we let him loose in the house, the destruction is not the main issue but his breathing. He would roam around and bite and chew on anything like a mischievous child. But after some time, we would notice that he would be panting and gasping for breath although he is still moving around. We are afraid that he would collapse. His 2 brothers died of exhaustion when they were less than a year old.

Corzhens, Apr 1, 2016
  2. haopee

spence88 Member

I haven't had much experience with dogs, but this is the first I heard of a dog dying out of exhaustion. Hm... that is very difficult indeed. Knowing that his two brothers already died because of that, it would definitely put you on guard and take necessary precautions. I don't know what I'll do if that happens in my case. Probably put him on a leash.

spence88, Apr 1, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  3. haopee

We also didn't know that dogs can die of exhaustion. But I guess it was aggravated by the daytime heat especially when it is summer.

He was first put on a leash but he would chew the leash. And since it was leather (we never use metal chains) our hyperactive pug would be more dehyadrated. During those time when he was not on a cage yet, he was thin maybe because of his constant movement.

Corzhens, Apr 1, 2016
  4. haopee

Johanna Well-Known Member

And using vinegar? Would u do this to a child? What about the dogs eyes?

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
  5. haopee

Johanna Well-Known Member

Sounds lazy to me! Rather than get proper training.

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
  6. haopee

spence88 Member

Oh, so he even chews his own leash? That's really a problem. How old is your pug? I suggest you give him obedience training. Hm... but taking into consideration what you've said, it seems to me that no obedience training can help stop this hyperactivity of his. I hope your dog's bad condition gets better in the future.

spence88, Apr 1, 2016
  7. haopee

Our pug is turning 4 on May 28 this year. When he was to turn 1, we had him trained for 3 months, 1 hour session 3 times a week. But after the training, it seemed like our pug had not learned anything. He still have that bad habit of being hyperactive. When we let him loose, there should be someone monitoring him because he may collapse of exhaustion. So that issue remains until now.

Corzhens, Apr 20, 2016
  8. haopee

nytegeek Active Member

If it would seem cruel to do to a child, you probably shouldn't do it to a dog. If you can't handle a dog's behavior maybe the dog needs a new home.

nytegeek, Apr 26, 2016
  9. haopee

remnant Well-Known Member

The points in the OP are quite applicable and some have a humorous twist to them. I have been trying to dissuade a young dog from jumping all over me to grasp my legs with its teeth and claws dirtying me especiallly in the wet season. Most people result to cruelty out of ignorance that dogs don't interpret things in the same way we do. I have discovered that getting a small leafy twig to shake and slap its face when it misbehaves really works.

remnant, Jul 1, 2016
  10. haopee

nytegeek Active Member

Vinegar in diluted concentrations can be used to train a difficult cat or dog if done properly and safely. Obviously you don't spray it in their eyes. Don't be so dramatic. I don't use it, but with proper care it can be used safely and humanely.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
Ask a Question