Fun with Beagles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Loulou, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Loulou

Loulou Member

Hello, I'm happy to be among fellow dog lovers. I have a sweet female beagle mix rescue dog. She is now three years old. We have encountered lots of challenges with her training. The most challenging is her love of food. Did I say love? Obsession is a more appropriate word! I had a lab before, and I thought food was a special interest of hers. The beagle makes my lab look like she was disinterested in food! This little one is stealing food right off the table. Any suggestions?

Loulou, Oct 11, 2012
  2. Loulou

haopee Well-Known Member

Have you considered the "Leave It" trick? The intention is to teach her to be more interested in the reward she gets by letting go or not touching what she was supposed to touch with the "leave it" trick. You can eventually use it to stop her from getting fixated with food (especially the ones on the table).

Beagles are such an intelligent breed, I'm sure you'll be doing the "Leave it" trick with her in no time.

haopee, Oct 12, 2012
  3. Loulou

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board, I hope you will like it here. Thank you for also sharing your story about your Beagle, some dogs are like that they can become obsessed with food or other things. Feel free if you like to share you story in other forums to get more advice on what to do about it. There are those here who can give you a whole lot of input on this subject.

pafjlh, Oct 13, 2012
  4. Loulou

Becky Well-Known Member

Hey there, welcome to the group! Great to have you here :)

Becky, Oct 15, 2012
  5. Loulou

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

I think Beagles make great companions. I have seen quite a few bigger ones. They really do seem to love food a little too much.

pilot2fly, Oct 15, 2012
  6. Loulou

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!

lifeliveson, Apr 15, 2013
  7. Loulou

zararina Well-Known Member

Hello Loulou and welcome to the forum.
    Maybe your beagle needs more time to learn not to steal food on the table. Some dogs need more patient. :D

zararina, Apr 16, 2013
Ask a Question