Frankie, the Walk and Roll Dog, has died

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Did anyone else follow Frankie on Facebook? If you hadn't heard of this dog, she was an ambassador for disabled dogs. Frankie had become paralyzed from intevertebral disc disease.

Her owner, Barbara Techel, got her a doggie wheelchair. Soon Frankie was rolling all over the place. Frankie became a registered therapy dog that helped out at Senior homes. Techel wrote a couple of books about Frankie's adventures, which became popular. Frankie died of Chronic Heart Failure on Thursday.

I always enjoyed reading about Frankie's adventures on Facebook. Some of you may know that my previous dog was an amputee. She lost her back right leg to cancer. But, she didn't let that stop her. So, Frankie found a place in my heart because she made me think of Sierra. These special dogs need all the love we can give them.

Anyway, if you've never heard of Frankie, check out the website. It's a really nice story:
    http://joyfulpaws.com/2012/06/sayin...-will-forever-live-on-as-the-walk-n-roll-dog/

Melody, Jun 23, 2012
  2. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the article about Frankie, Melody. :) I can see why Frankie found a place in your heart. Frankie certainly put a smile on the faces of many people, including the seniors. It's great that Frankie didn't let her ailments get her down, she was a real inspiration. You're right all dogs are special and deserve all the love we can give them. I'd love to read some of the books about Frankie's adventures.

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Thank you, Melody, for the link. I knew I would feel an ache in my chest if I clicked on your link but I had to. Now I am going to subscribe to that site and see what I can do to help keep Frankie's work going.

Roll on, Frankie, roll on.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I am not aware about Frankie and really nice to know about this dog.
    It is really nice to read stories about inspiring dogs like Frankie and no wonder why there are lots of people who enjoy following such stories.

zararina, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you guys liked Frankie's story. My experiences with Sierra taught me something. The dog's disability is harder on the owners than on the dog. They have such incredible spirits. As my veterinarian explained it, dogs don't spent time worrying about their missing limb or their injury. They don't have self-pity. They have the will to survive which makes them fight.

Frankie had that same spirit. You would think the paralysis would have been quite painful. But, give a dog a wheelchair and it runs around as if it was born with wheels.

Melody, Jun 24, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's the wonderful thing about animals. They don't wallow in self-pity. It's such a waste of time and life. Life is exactly what we make of it. If we can enjoy life with one limb less than other people, then our quality of life has not deteriorated at all. Maybe those videos of dogs like Frankie should be shown to people who have just lost their own limbs.

Victor Leigh, Jun 25, 2012
Ask a Question