Food Aggressive

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have a dachshund mix that I adopted from a shelter, she is as sweet as she can be except for when she is eating. She is not aggressive to me or my family but to the other dogs, particularly to one of my dachshunds. I do know that she was in the no kill shelter for a few months could this be why she is so aggressive? Does it have to do with being the new kid and dominance, perhaps?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

I believe each dog behaves differently regardless of the breeding.
    I also have some dogs before that are aggressive to other dogs when eating. It could be the personality of the dog of there is history/reason behind it. Just like she was not used eating with other dogs or she was food deprived before. Maybe your dog can still change such behavior if ever she get used to have enough food always.

zararina, Jan 24, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

Well, it could be that she wanted to intimidate her fellow dogs because she’s new. Aggression could also be an act to dominate over other dogs. My old dog Browny is usually aggressive with younger dogs. He would snarl and bite them and there’s no helping it. He doesn’t want those young ones near him or taking his place. The young ones learn not to play or go near him except when we’re around. Spaying and neutering dogs could make it docile or lessen its aggression. If it doesn’t work for her, retraining her might help.

King Browny, Jan 25, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think it's something to do with the pecking order, dog style. With my dogs, the older ones always make first claim on any food offered.

Victor Leigh, Jan 26, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

Hmmmm OK Babygirl is the youngest but she is the tallest of all of the girls. The only one she is docile with is BJ the only male we have. They have all been fixed so I know that didn't change her any.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

Oh, maybe she likes BJ and don’t want to share. LOL

Or maybe since she came from a shelter she experienced aggression from the other dogs thus she have this survival of the fittest instinct of “I have to get to eat first or I will be left of nothing and then I’ll go hungry and eventually I’ll die.”

Retraining may help her. You may start by separating her from the rest during meal time. You said she’s not aggressive to you and the rest of the family. I assume she follows your instructions so you can make her stick to her bowl.

King Browny, Feb 2, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

I've been feeding Babygirl and Petunia (our beagle), she seems to get along with her, while I have the smaller girls outside then I switch them. :) It's working out pretty well so far.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 2, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
Ask a Question