Female Dogs Fighting for Dominance

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

I realize that this is a pretty normal issue when it comes to dogs, but it's starting to become a problem with my two females. I have a German Shepard and English Mastiff that cannot seem to get along. They have been with each other since they were small and have on and off fought for dominance since. I can no longer let them in the house because they will break into really aggressive fights. It only seems to happen when they are around someone in the home.

I don't know if this is an attention issue or not. My English Mastiff is the one that is constantly "punking" my German Shepard. Other than this issue, she is a complete sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Is there anything I can do to help the situation? I hate to keep them outside all year round, but it's the only thing I've been able to do to avoid them getting aggressive and breaking things in the house.

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  2. lexinonomous

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am not a dog expert but it sounds like they are fighting over the obsession of that particular person. Have you do some researches to see what the main issue is? You might be right about fighting for attention too.

I wish I could help you since aggressive fights can end unfavorable for both dogs!

IcyBC, Nov 8, 2015
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

It has been tough because they are no longer aloud in the house. It causes so much of a problem. When they are outside they're fine, but inside it's a whole new dilemma. I've noticed that they fight alot when they're around people in general. I really think it's an attention thing. Someone mentioned to me that taking them for walks might work, so long as they feel like they got their "alone time" with us. It's just getting tiresome because now I feel like they're both getting neglected attention outside.

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. lexinonomous

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Giving them personal alone time probably will work, or just playing outside with one dog at a time is good too. I only have one dog, and he generally spending lots of time with me throughout the day, but when my sons are home, he doesn't mind leaving me at all :(

IcyBC, Nov 10, 2015
  5. lexinonomous

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I wish I could help here. I have four females but for the MOST part they get on fine. The youngest has taken over I must confess and has my middle dog a little more sedate than she used to be. I find it so mind boggling at times. They have had their fights (I was worried for a while) but in no time they are back into each other.

Winterybella, Nov 17, 2015
  6. lexinonomous

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Oh boy. I am sorry. I don't know how to help you. I had two female dogs but the first made it very clear she was in charge. Sometimes they would fight but that's normal (just as children fight). I would have thought since you had them as young puppies they would either get along or 1 would establish themselves as dominant.
    When my sister would bring her female dog over my dogs wouldn't get along with it. That is because they didn't meet until they were older.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 26, 2015
  7. lexinonomous

Trellum Well-Known Member

Are your dogs ''fixed''? If you neuter them soon this issue might be solved, after all I have seen it happen with male dogs as well... once they are ''fixed'' they become less aggressive. Sadly that hasn't been the same story with my in laws male cat...

Trellum, Jan 2, 2016
  8. lexinonomous

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We have 3 dogs, 2 male and 1 female which we call Barbie. Although she is the youngest of the 3, she appears to be the most dominant. She literally bullies the other 2 who seem to be afraid of her especially Tisoy, the 8-year old spitz. Barbie is 3 years old, just a week younger than Pipoy, our hyperactive pug. We wonder why our male dogs who seem ferocious when there are house guests or potential intruders would be timid when Barbie is around.

Corzhens, Feb 9, 2016
  9. lexinonomous

George & Theo Member

Sorry to hear about your dog problem. So far my Shepard has not been a problem with my other dog or horses.He did with the cat but they came to am agreement. The dogs we had come over, they seem to get along although Theo gets a little rough. He's playing but he plays like he just came off the field of NFL. He is only 2 years so still tons of energy. Hope your dogs figure a way to get along.

George & Theo, Mar 5, 2017
  10. lexinonomous

Andrea Smith Member

They are fighting for attention, you've been facing this problem for too long now. I guess the best way is to consult a veterinarian. This is a usual phenomena animals fighting for hierarchy.

Andrea Smith, Mar 8, 2017
  11. lexinonomous

Loki Member

Sounds intense!

Loki, Apr 14, 2017
  12. lexinonomous

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

Female dogs fighting for dominance can be a challenging and potentially dangerous situation. Here are some steps to address and manage this issue:

1. Consult a Professional: Seek guidance from a professional dog behaviorist or trainer experienced in dealing with aggression and dominance issues in dogs. They can assess the situation and provide personalized advice.

2. Spaying: If your female dogs are not spayed, consider having them spayed. This can help reduce hormonal aggression and minimize the competition for dominance.

3. Separation: In the short term, separate the dogs to prevent further fights. They should have their own space, food, and water dishes.

4. Supervised Interactions: When the dogs are together, supervise their interactions closely. Only allow them to be together when you can intervene if necessary.

5. Training and Obedience: Work on basic obedience training with both dogs to establish clear rules and boundaries. This can help reduce conflicts.

6. Positive Reinforcement: Reward both dogs for calm and non-aggressive behavior. Use treats, praise, and positive reinforcement to encourage good behavior.

7. Desensitization: Gradually expose the dogs to each other in controlled and positive situations, reinforcing calm behavior.

8. Reintroduction: After some time, consider reintroducing the dogs under the guidance of a professional behaviorist or trainer.

9. Consistency: Be consistent with rules and boundaries in your home. Ensure both dogs understand that you are the pack leader.

10. Separate Resources: Ensure there are separate resources (food bowls, toys, resting areas) to minimize competition.

11. Mediation Techniques: Some behaviorists may recommend specific mediation techniques, such as structured group walks or controlled play sessions.
    Remember that aggression between dogs can be a complex issue, and it's essential to address it carefully and with the help of a professional. Safety is a priority, so never put yourself or the dogs at risk during interactions. Seek guidance to create a harmonious environment for your pets.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 22, 2023
Ask a Question