Fear of loud noise

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by kinser, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I have a very sensitive fire alarm, and it sometimes goes off when he have something in the oven at a higher temp., although not often. The noise terrifies my German shepherd. The problem is that he has figured out that oven on = possibility of scary noise, so he gets extremely anxious whenever we cook something (even if the alarm never goes off - he just smells the cooking food and begins to shake like a leaf :( ). How do I address this, other than never again using the oven (which acutally sounds like not such a bad idea to me, LOL). I hate to see him so fearful

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  2. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

We also have a dog who fears so loud noise such as the sounds of fireworks. I think when a dog already have a fear on something, it was hard to remove that fear from them. Maybe just do not let him know or smell something is being cooked in the oven by placing him far from it when it is being used. Or give him comfort like embracing him and telling him that everything is fine whenever he feels that fear.

zararina, Apr 15, 2012
  3. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

We try to comfort him as much as possible when he gets anxious (although the Dog Whisperer says this is wrong? I don't know - I just can't stand to see him so scared). I guess I will try to put him outside whenever possible when we have the oven on, as I don't see him ever losing this fear.

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
Ask a Question