Eating grass

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Trellum, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahaha, yeah, I have noticed most dogs tend to like eating the foulest things ever! They have like a tolerance for bad tastes! I don't know why my schnauzie is so picky when it comes to food. I've had to smear the food on her stout, and she's still hesitant, lol! Most of the times I do this, she realizes I was trying to feed her something nice despite the smell or lack of it. I think she likes strong and well defined smells.

Trellum, Nov 16, 2013
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I think that most dogs like food that have strong smell. In my opinion it's rather weird because their sense of smell is much more powerful than ours anyway.
    I'm pretty sure that the smell of fish is Homer's favorite. He loves fish flavored cookies:)

claudine, Nov 17, 2013
  3. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

My dog eat grass every now and again too. My husband told me the same thing that they do this when their tummy is upset. As far as I've observed my pet eats grass then vomits it out with some stomach fluids around 15 to 30 minutes later. She doesn't seem any worse for it though.

trishgl, Nov 24, 2013
  4. Trellum

My Homer has never vomited after eating grass. Should I worry? Can he digest it? He seems to consider grass a snack. He eats it and then he comes back home, ready to play or to beg for other treats.

claudine, Nov 24, 2013
  5. Trellum

Does she seem to feel a bit better after that? Maybe it helps her to feel a bit better. I heard some animals eat mud when they're feeling sick, specially the parrots living in the jungle. Sometimes they eat poisonous things, and the only way to cure themselves is eating some mud.

Trellum, Dec 20, 2013
  6. Trellum

It's the first time when I hear of it. Isn't mud just dirt mixed with water? It surprising that it has healing properties!
    Fortunately, I've never seen Homer eating it. On the other hand, I'm not sure what he eats when I leave him alone in our garden. He runs freely there.

claudine, Dec 20, 2013
  7. Trellum

Yeah, I think the mud helps get rid of some toxic things in the stomach of those parrots :) They mostly eat clay tho :p Clay is really good to absorb toxins. The parrots in the jungle are in contact with a lot potentially harmful things; so many seeds and flowers. When they eat that they eat clay or mud :)

Trellum, Dec 24, 2013
  8. Trellum

I would never have guessed that eating clay may be good for some animals! But I know that charcoal absorbs toxins too and can help for an upset stomach. I'm not sure if you can give it to dogs though.

claudine, Dec 24, 2013
  9. Trellum

sushdawg Member

My dogs do it because it's something to chew while watching the horses behind our house. I'm pretty certain that's the only reason they casually do it. One of our dogs, when he doesn't feel well, will go straight to a patch of grass and start eating away! I read somewhere that about 1 in 5 dogs will throw up after eating grass, so it could be basic instinct to rid themselves of something they shouldn't have eaten. As long as your grass isn't treated with pesticides or fertilizers that could harm the dog, I think it's alright.

sushdawg, Mar 12, 2015
  10. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I witnessed it earlier this week with one of my small dogs when she went outside. I've seen it off and on from the other dogs and I always worried that something was wrong and once of twice one or the other threw up and I saw grass. Have a read of this article.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_eating_grass?page=2

Winterybella, Mar 12, 2015
  11. Trellum

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read!! I had no idea why dogs ate grass when they feel sick, but now I think i understand the logic behind that. I must say the herbicides have always worried me as well! Never liked the idea my girls ate grass from outside!

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  12. Trellum

I read about a remedy using charcoal to whiten one's teeth, hehehehe! Looks like activated charcoal is super useful :) I would actually love getting some of that clay (food grade one), but it's so hard to get here! Some humans consume that kind of clay for similar reasons those gucamayas do. I heard that clay offers some health benefits, but to be honest I'd need to be 100& sure about the source of the clay.

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  13. Trellum

Yeah, I also think it's instinct, specially when they do that for the first time. I think that most dogs keep doing it out of instincts and experience every time they get sick, because our dog did that all the time. He ate the grass then threw up, then he felt better (started eating again), that is why they say it's good (over here) when you throw up if you get a very nasty stomach virus. In my experience that helps loads.

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  14. Trellum

Clay doesn't sound like something tasty, haha;) I'm not sure if I'd like to try it.
    As for charcoal, I would never guess that it can be used to whiten one's teeth. Charcoal is so dark!

claudine, Mar 26, 2015
  15. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Trellum, you said girls? Do you have more than one dog? Did you see in the reading it said you might want to go out and buy your dog some grass? I don't think I am going to go that far. I try to keep a close eye on any help I get for my ailing garden. The guy can be so careless at times I have no choice but to be constantly on the alert to make sure that pesticides are not in the girl's path. Only yesterday I saw Zola chewing away. I honestly did not encourage it even though I know what I do now.

Winterybella, Mar 26, 2015
Ask a Question