Dogs with separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by shdws, Jan 23, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I was reading an interesting article on dogs with separation anxiety. As I read, I realized my dog might have mild separation anxiety. There is a short list along with the article on do's and dont's for separation anxiety. I'll share it here with you.

Separation Anxiety
    DO’s and DON’Ts

DON’T make a fuss over your comings and goings.
    DO vary your exit routine.
    DON’T reprimand your dog for anxiety-induced misdeeds.
    DO consider an ID collar and microchip if your dog is likely to escape.
    DO record a video of your dog’s behavior to aid your vet in diagnosis.
    DO consider a DAP diffuser.
    DON’T get a new dog. This can only complicate the hyper-attachment problem.
    DO work closely with your veterinarian. He or she is your best ally!
    DON’T expect a quick fix. Behavior modification takes time, but it works!

shdws, Jan 23, 2013
  2. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

So this where you read about the DAP diffuser...

Another trick you could consider is desensitizing him to the event or to condition him to enjoy his own "me" time. The crate is a great training tool in teaching a dog to understand "me" time.

Another trick you could use is to make him understand that you will come back and give him rewards for being properly behaved.

What you do is to leave the house for 1 minute and come back and reward him for good behavior- gradually increasing the time you leave the house while enforcing good behavior for not going crazy,

haopee, Jan 24, 2013
  3. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Great advice hoapee. Have you tried with before? If you have, did you get good results? My dog seems to go nuts when I put him in his kennel. I'm hoping to find a solution.

shdws, Jan 24, 2013
  4. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

Fortunately my Homer lets me leave the house whenever I want - actually, he is happy when I'm leaving:eek: . He just knows he is going to get a treat:) . I always have a little something for him when I'm saying goodbye - it can be a piece of a bread of a carrot.

claudine, Jan 24, 2013
  5. shdws

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is all some good advice. I know that my dogs have had cases of separation anxiety in the past. I remember Rocky being deeply affected when my brother (whom he loved a great deal) ended up in the hospital for quite some time. My mother tried to take care of Rocky but he still missed my brother very much. I laugh at people who claim that dogs don't have feelings or understand things such as people going away. I got news for them dogs do understand all too well what is going on, and they will miss that person deeply. Especially if that person is gone longer then the dog is use to them being gone in the past.

pafjlh, Jan 25, 2013
  6. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

That's a great example of how a dog experiences similar emotions to us humans. I think dog's are far more complex than we give them credit for.

shdws, Jan 25, 2013
  7. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

If you are pertaining to the DAP diffuser, I haven't. I have just read about it. It's like the Thundershirt. It works for other dogs while it doesn't for others.

Maybe your dog doesn't understand the concept of a kennel reason why he doesn't like it there. If you're having difficulty in training, you could also use toys where you can place treats in it.

Kongs is a known brand for those. All you have to do is stuff the toy with treats or dog kibble and if he's a food driven dog, he will definitely get preoccupied with these toys.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
  8. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Great suggestion! I had never heard of Kongs, I looked it up and they have a large variety of toys. I think I will give this a try.

shdws, Jan 30, 2013
  9. shdws

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I've been giving Mishka Dental Stix when I leave her home alone outside.
    We call them stay at home sticks and are given to her just before driving off.

argon_0, Jan 31, 2013
  10. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Just in case you want to look for toys to buy for your dog, try to avoid the wooden ones especially if your dog is a medium to large breed.

[​IMG]
    Source

I got my terrier dog one of these and she ate up the entire wooden toy and left the treats because she wasn't interested in dog kibbles in the first place. LOL

haopee, Jan 31, 2013
  11. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Wow she ate the wooden toy? Now that's what I call an appetite lol. Yeah my dog is medium size dog, so he may want to eat those also.

shdws, Jan 31, 2013
  12. shdws

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog has SEVERE seperation anxiety. It's getting better, but we've had him for 3 years now and it's still not perfect.

MakingCents, Feb 1, 2013
  13. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    They came from the same company as the one above.. I think.

LOL, this is how Peanuts loves her dog toys. And just so you know, we did send this wooden bone to toy heaven.

[​IMG]

The white one is Peanuts. She's a tall white terrier with long legs and a slim body... like a greyhound.

haopee, Feb 6, 2013
  14. shdws

trishgl Well-Known Member

You can teach your dog that when you leave you always come back. This will help make the experience bearable for him since he knows that you are not leaving permanently. You can leave him alone for 5 to 10 minutes to begin with. You can then gradually increase the time that you leave him alone. When you leave give him a chew toy that he enjoys. Some experts also recommend you leave the TV or radio on. Be calm when you leave and don't feed his anxiety by being in a panic yourself.

trishgl, Sep 19, 2013
  15. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

I think some dogs can get or understand the situation or get used on it.
    Our recent dog used to destroy something like paper when left alone. But as time goes on, he did not do it and just wait somebody to come home.

zararina, Sep 19, 2013
  16. shdws

Leaving the TV on sounds like a really good idea! My friend's dog hates being alone, so she always turns on TV when she has to leave him at home. When he hears voices, it calms him down:)

claudine, Sep 19, 2013
  17. shdws

Lokitns Member

We got a thunder shirt for our one little neurotic pup and it seems to help, it also helps if we leave the TV on, since it is on most of the day. And it seems like they think if we leave it on, we'll just be right back.

Lokitns, Sep 29, 2013
  18. shdws

What is a thunder shirt? I've never heard of it before. Could you tell us more about it? Is it a special shirt that somehow makes dogs feel safe? How does it work? It sounds really interesting!

claudine, Sep 29, 2013
  19. shdws

lauragrant New Member

One of my dogs started peeing in the house again after being potty trained for 6 years. It started once my daughter (her mommy) started school a few weeks ago. We think it's separation anxiety, but what are some possible things to try?

lauragrant, Sep 13, 2018
  20. shdws

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

Dealing with dogs that have separation anxiety can be challenging, but there are strategies to help them cope. Here are some tips:

1. Gradual Departures: Practice leaving for short periods and gradually increase the time. This can help desensitize your dog to your departures.

2. Crate Training: Some dogs feel secure in a crate. Use it as a safe space and gradually increase the time your dog spends in it.

3. Establish a Routine: Dogs thrive on routine. Create a consistent schedule for feeding, walks, and alone time.

4. Desensitization: Practice the cues that signal your departure (e.g., picking up keys, putting on a coat) without actually leaving. This can reduce anxiety associated with those cues.

5. Counterconditioning: Associate your departure with positive experiences, like special treats or toys your dog only gets when you leave.

6. Distraction: Provide toys or puzzles to keep your dog occupied while you're away.

7. Medication: In severe cases, consult a veterinarian or a veterinary behaviorist. Medication can help manage anxiety.

8. Training: Enroll in obedience training or consult with a professional dog trainer to address separation anxiety.

9. Stay Calm: Avoid making a big fuss when leaving or returning. Keep departures and arrivals low-key.

10. Don't Punish: Never punish your dog for anxiety-related behaviors. It can worsen the problem.
    Remember that overcoming separation anxiety can take time and patience. It's important to consult with a veterinarian or a professional dog behaviorist for guidance, especially if the anxiety is severe or not improving with these strategies.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 19, 2023
Ask a Question