Dogs, their names n' nicks!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Hi all!

Her name was given by the man who found her & brought her to the Shelter; his name is Bob, she's a female, so they tagged her Bobette. But while it's a cute name, it seemed a bit too prissy for her personality, so she quickly became Bobbi and ya know, she seems to really like it !

Don't we all use little pet names for our, well, pets ? No pun intended, okay, it was intended! In that spirit, I have a few for her; one is Bobs & she will come to "crazy little dog", & I also call her SweetPea, but she insists, never in public!

Now, how about you & yours?

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  2. SweetBeast

tajnz Well-Known Member

My childhood dogs who passed away in the last few years were named Rosie and Honey. We called Rosie, Rosa for short sometimes even though it's not that much shorter. Rosa just suited her personality. :) I grew up with my dogs and used to nickname Honey, Hunna or Honey Bunny on occasion. :D

tajnz, Dec 11, 2012
  3. SweetBeast

Hi tajnz, thanks for the input & I love the Honey Bunny nick, too cute! I am truly sorry for your losses, as it's never easy, I know as I miss each & every pet I have ever had. But they left us all with such beautiful, fun, happy memories & there's no doubt in my mind, we will be reunited with them all one day & how wonderful that will be ! If you're okay in speaking about them, what breeds were your childhood dogs & who's the little sweetie in the photo on your profile?

SweetBeast, Dec 11, 2012
  4. SweetBeast

tajnz Well-Known Member

Aww thanks, I agree with all you wrote. :) Sometimes I wish I could just rewind the clock and spend some time with my pets who have passed on, but I try to cherish the fond memories I have. :) I hope one day I am reunited with them, just like rainbow bridge poem.

Rosie and Honey were rescue dogs from my local shelter and were both half Chihuahua and half Corgi. Interesting mix, I know! Honey's coat actually looked yellow not white or Blonde and Rosie had a mixed color coat with little white socks on her paws. Rosie is in the photo. Honey would of been in it too but she passed first. They had such distinct personalities Rosie insisted on a car ride everyday and would so excited when it was time to go for her daily drive while Honey was really chilled out and mellow. Still to this day I've never felt a dogs coat as soft as Honey's it was incredibly soft and smooth.

tajnz, Dec 11, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  5. SweetBeast

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog name is Kulit.
    Sometimes he was called Jet and Kukulit. :p

zararina, Dec 11, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  6. SweetBeast

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well in the spirit of puns, you'll appreciate mine!

Backstory: My dog is 13+, but he acts like a puppy. He was trained before we got him, but we were somewhat lax with keeping up with that, so he's gotten kinda lazy and breaks some of the rules sometimes now, too.

So one thing that he does is bark when he didn't used to. I'll tell him to 'hush', which ends up frequently saying "hush puppy" and ultimately nicknaming him our "Hush Puppy."

Jessi, Dec 11, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  7. SweetBeast

claudine Well-Known Member

My Yorkie's name is Homer - after the poet. It was my sister's and my joke to name him like this: since he is so small, we wanted him to have a big name:D . We often call him Homcio because it sounds very sweet - or we just call him mister H:p

claudine, Dec 11, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  8. SweetBeast

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dear old Mishka was called furry butt up until recently. Since she has had a severe fur cut the name has disappeared.

argon_0, Dec 12, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  9. SweetBeast

tajnz, thanks so much for sharing the story of Rosie & of Honey (bunny); sweet dogs to be sure & you all deserved each other. I do the same & whether it's a day, week or even an hour, what a joy it would be. But here's something I do on a daily basis, I talk to them. When I am out with Bobbi, I chat with them for 5-10 minutes each & every day. Thanking them for the life they gave me, & the beautiful memories I carry with me. Yes, I am usually in tears as we walk back home, but not only of sadness, but tears of joy, knowing I will see them all in Heaven. Also, to be together with them all at the same time unlike life. Can you imagine being with all the pets you ever had, at the same time?! I cannot wait to be with them all again! Also what I started to do is on the day they were called Home, I light a candle in their honor & visit with them for a while.

Not meaning to create a thread on whether or not our pets will be in Heaven & why some believe & some don't, I only speak for a minute on the Reverend Billy Graham as he is the reason I have no doubts we will be reunited with our beloved pets, He says in his book, & I am paraphrasing here, so not verbatim. He says God wants us happy in Heaven, so if having our pets & animals in Heaven makes us happy, they will indeed be there, waiting for us.

I love Rosie's "socks", so cute & I'm sure Honey was as cute as Rosie, even with different personalities! Due to their mix, could they have been labeled ChiCorgis? I ask as they referred to my Bobbi as a ChiWeenie!

Thanks again for your posting & sharing a little of your wonderful dogs! Though it's been a year, on this past Nov.28th, since Smokee was called Home prematurely, I still can't speak of it.

Best to you & yours tajnz!

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  10. SweetBeast

Oh Jessi, Hush Puppy, really ? That is so rich - I love this !

Thanks for the share , & all the other Posts as well :)

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
    Jessi likes this.
  11. SweetBeast

Hi zaraina,

So your doggie is a little trouble maker? And jet as he is so fast ? Funny how we find little things, traits about our pets that turn into nicknames!

Thanks zaraina !

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  12. SweetBeast

Thanks Claudine! Love the name & Mr. H ! Is Homico pronounced HoMIco? And you remind me that I have yet to ever read Homer - the Iliad ? Odyssey ? I only recall these as my sister read them!

Give Mr. H a tummy rub for me !

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  13. SweetBeast

Hi argon & thank you! Furry Butt ? I am sure she is glad now she had the severe cut ! Speaking of furry butt, & the occasional cat or dog, that when they go ton the bathr...oh, I am sure you all get the picture - that's an entirely different Post !

Thanks again argon!

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  14. SweetBeast

zararina Well-Known Member

You are right about the Jet nick. But not a trouble maker, instead our dog gets too excited and noisy when someone comes home and if it's feeding time. :D

zararina, Dec 12, 2012
  15. SweetBeast

I apologize, zararina, to you & Kulit - I did a rough translation & I misunderstood it- again, I'm :( sorry for that. And Bobbi knows my actions when it comes to her breakfast & dinner, so she starts to wind up like a toy as does Kulit ! They're the best, aren't they ?!

Enjoy your day with loved ones.....

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  16. SweetBeast

pafjlh Well-Known Member

It is interesting how we come up with our dogs names. Oso got his name because of a hamster we once had who was a character and a half. So, we got to the point where if we found something annoying we would call it a little Oso. When Oso first showed up as a puppy we considered calling him Rocky in honor of the dog we had lost a few months before. However, Oso was acting up and being a character, my sister said to him knock it off you little Oso. We all knew then that this should be his name and not Rocky. As for Buddy well he was name in honor of another small dog we had. However, he is really far from being a Buddy, maybe we should of named him Oso Too, LOL.

pafjlh, Dec 12, 2012
  17. SweetBeast

It really is pafjlh as we all have some story to tell & I enjoyed reading of little Oso ! You didn't plan it as it was just normal part of your family conversation yet his actions made your sister said what she said! I always take things a step further, that is, what if instead of him acting up being a character, he came in, was tired & went to sleep? Maybe the name Oso would have never come up!

Thank you for sharing your cute story pafjlh :)

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  18. SweetBeast

claudine Well-Known Member

He loves tummy rubbing:D I'm not sure how to explain to you how to pronounce Homcio. It's not an easy one:p But you can use Google translator. Just choose polish language and click this little 'listen' icon on the right:)

claudine, Dec 12, 2012
Ask a Question