Dogs returned 5 years after they were stolen

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This is a remarkable story and a testament to how valuable microchipping your dog can be. Two Beagles were stolen from a yard in Kansas five years ago. The owners tried to track down their dogs but had no luck.

This month they got a call from an animal shelter in Georgia. Two Beagles were found wandering on a road. They had been abandoned. Someone brought them to the shelter where they were scanned. The information on the chip lead them back to the owners.

Isn't that neat? Misha was microchipped when she was spayed. It was a cheap and easy process.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/stolen-dogs_n_1678733.html

Melody, Jul 18, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  2. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

That is awesome!! My girls are all indoor dogs but have microchips "just in case" I used to joke that Kotton (my 3 pound chi) had to be chipped because the wind would carry her to Canada.

pugskjj, Jul 19, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

It does give you hope, doesn't it? If it weren't for the microchips, there would have been no way to return these dogs to their rightful owners.

I hadn't really thought of microchipping Misha, but the Vet recommended it. Since she could do it at the same time as the spaying it wasn't as if I needed to make a special appointment. I'm glad I had it done. She is an indoor dog as well, but who wants to take chances?

Is your 3 lb. dog fully grown? Misha was the smallest in our family. She was 8 1/2 lbs. until the Vet told me she needed to gain a little. She is close to 10 lbs. now. My brother got a Yorkie last year who is only 5 lbs. It's hard to believe a dog could make Misha look big. LOL Your dog must have a heck of a time in the wind. Misha has trouble and she's 3 times the size. :D

Melody, Jul 19, 2012
  4. Melody

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My aunt and her husband had their chocolate labs stolen from them several years ago. At first they were hopeful that they would find the dogs, but they never did. They were extremely saddened by it, and their kids struggled with it as well. Their family has not adopted a dog since then.

Shepherd, Jul 19, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's so awesome! It's horrible that they had to go through all the pain and suffering of their dogs being stolen in the first place. And after 5 years, they'd obviously long since given up hope. I'm sure they were thrilled to be reunited with their loved ones regardless, though.

Jessi, Jul 19, 2012
  6. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

That's sad, Shepherd!

Jessi, knowing dogs, they had not forgotten their family in all those years.

My brother had his SUV stolen one morning when he stopped to get coffee. Their two dogs and kitten were in crates in the back.

8 hours after it was stolen, the SUV was found abandoned not too far from where it was stolen with all the animals inside. They were fine, but a little traumatized. The poor kitten had done her business in the crate and was a mess. But, that was it.

Evidently, they were kindly thieves. There was dog and cat food in the crates. So, I guess they felt bad that they had stolen someone's pets and got them food.

Melody, Jul 19, 2012
  7. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

As strange as it sounds, I don't think most car thieves are going to be the same people who are cruel to animals necessarily. I'm impressed they actually let go of the SUV overall instead of simply dropping the animals off somewhere. Your brother got lucky!

Jessi, Jul 20, 2012
  8. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Kotton is full grown and is even a little rotund at times LOL She loves Super Bowl parties. It is funny watching her in the wind and with her sisters who both look huge next to her and one is only 5 pounds and the other is about 12 pounds

pugskjj, Jul 20, 2012
  9. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

That was a nice story and good thing those dogs are safe. I think micro chipping dogs is not popular here yet.
    Our dogs are outdoor dogs too and are always inside the compound.

zararina, Jul 22, 2012
  10. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just curious. How much does it cost to microchip a dog? I haven't thought about doing it yet because where I used to live, losing a dog was something quite unheard of.

Victor Leigh, Jul 22, 2012
  11. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

The prices vary quite a bit. From a vet, it's usually about $45, including the registration in the database for lifetime. You can go to humane societies, though, or smaller clinics that will do it as low as $25. Could be lower even, but that's the lowest I've heard, which isn't bad at all in my opinion.

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  12. Melody

25usd? That's a doable price. Especially when you are talking about microchipping a Bangkeaw puppy that starts at 150usd or a Shih Tzu, in Malaysia, that starts at 280usd.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
  13. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope, it's not bad at all. You're right that in comparison to the cost of a purebred, it's pretty insignificant to help keep them protected, too.

Jessi, Jul 24, 2012
  14. Melody

One question. How long do these microchips last? And can they be removed by the thieves?

Victor Leigh, Jul 25, 2012
  15. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

They last forever, as far as I know. I've never heard of them being removed and then replaced. And I suppose thieves could, but only to the extent of having to cut open an animal, so I don't think that's something to be concerned with.

Jessi, Jul 25, 2012
  16. Melody

Good to know that they last forever and a day. Er, where do they actually put the microchips? Is it just under the skin?

Victor Leigh, Jul 26, 2012
  17. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, it's usually right underneath the skin near the back of the neck and between the shoulderblades. Sometimes it's near the side of the neck instead. It's just under the surface, though, so usually you can feel it if you know where to look.

Jessi, Jul 28, 2012
  18. Melody

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

That is such a sweet story! I wonder how they are adjusting now that they are reunited with their family. I can't believe people actually steal other's animals. How sad. I am glad the microchip worked for this family. When I get my dog spayed, it is something that I will probably get.

dashboardc33, Jul 28, 2012
Ask a Question