Dogs May Be Good for Asthma Sufferers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've always been told that having a dog in the house might make things worse for someone with asthma or allergies. The dog hair is supposed to contribute to the dust in the house making it harder for them to breath. A new study out of the University of California says otherwise.

It all has to do with bacterial colonies that may be helpful to humans. Researchers found that households with dogs had more diverse microbial communities. When these different bacteria are breathed in, they colonize the digestive tract making it more diverse. They believe these diverse colonies will help with breathing as well.

It's interesting to note that they didn't find the same diversity with cat household. The reasoning is that many cats are indoor pets so they don't add much to the bacteria in the house. Dogs are indoors and outdoors throughout the day. They are being exposed to different bacteria constantly.

It's kind of unsavory to think of all this bacteria floating around the house. However, there are good bacteria that aid in good health. It looks like dogs are adding one more element to a healthy lifestyle.

Here's the story:
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/breathe-easier-with-shaggy-dog-story-20120621-20r65.html

Melody, Jun 22, 2012
  2. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Well, this is good to know. I've always had breathing problems (not exactly asthma), and I recently adopted my first doggie, so... Heh, I don't think she would be able to do anything about my chronic sinusitis, though.

NewDCD, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow, what an interesting article. I've had mild asthma as long as I can remember and perhaps the article could have some truth to it as while I had my childhood dogs my asthma seemed to be a little better and more managable. :) Anyone else who suffers from asthma and has had a dog? Do you think there could be some truth to this article?

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I used to have an asthma before until my grade school years. And we never thought that it was because of our dogs as I grew up in the household with dogs always. Really nice to know that about dogs. ;)

zararina, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Never heard of that before. I've been an asthmatic since a wee child. I was not allowed to have a dog growing up and had chronic asthma. When I left home I have had plenty of dogs over the years. My asthma is now but a wheeze and a bad memory. Maybe my dogs have cured me.:) Thanks Mishka.

argon_0, Jun 25, 2012
Ask a Question