Dogs love milk?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by summerRain, Dec 22, 2011.

1. summerRain

mkCampbell Active Member

My oldest dog loved milk until I switched to mostly using Almond milk. Boy could he tell a difference. He looked at me like "What the heck is this?" while licking his lips wondering what was up. Thankfully he enjoys the days I use real milk for certain dishes.

mkCampbell, Feb 18, 2015
  2. summerRain

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, your dog was picky;) But of course almond milk doesn't really taste like regular milk, I can tell the difference between them too.
    I wonder if my Homer would like coconut or almond milk. As far as I know, they both are very healthy and don't contain lactose.

claudine, Feb 18, 2015
  3. summerRain

Trellum Well-Known Member

My frida loves to drink anything you give her, but I think she doesn't handle milk so well :( I try to avoid giving her anything with dairy in it, because it seems to kinda upset her stomach. I read a while ago that milk is not really a good thing for dogs, cat or even humans, at least not cow milk.

Trellum, Jul 19, 2015
  4. summerRain

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog has a sensitive stomach so he can't have any dairy products! I am sure with milk, he will throw up and has diarrhea. We were even advised to avoid yogurt.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2015
  5. summerRain

Johanna Well-Known Member

Limit it because of health :)

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  6. summerRain

remnant Well-Known Member

It is true that dogs love milk. It has fat content and dogs love fatty substances. Adding some milk to water is a good method of encouraging dogs to drink water. I have also observed that my dogs love to drink tea and porridge.

remnant, May 9, 2016
  7. summerRain

Goodman Member

Dоgs аrе аllеrgiс milk аnd саusе ingеstiоn lеаding tо sеvеrе hеаlth prоblеms.Hоwеvеr,milk dеrivеd prоduсts suсk аs сhееsе саn bе givеn tо dоgs.

Goodman, Jul 15, 2016
  8. summerRain

cluckeyo Active Member

She likes milk ok, but what she really likes is ice cream!! Every time we get out the ice cream she has to have a scoop in a little bowl, all to herself. Flavor does not seem to matter, but if it has nuts in it, she spits those out as she has gotten older.

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
  9. summerRain

LaneAlf Member

A lot of them actually do! Tomás is s big fan of milk and my mom give to him a little bit of cookies and milk every morning and he just loves it.
    But when it comes to Bruno, we have had some bad experiences when it comes to milk and his stomach, he has gotten sick a couple of times because of it and at this point, we prefer avoiding it as much as we can when it comes to him.

LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016
  10. summerRain

Nancy New Member

Well yes! My dog too loves whole milk and she digest it pretty well. And for the quantity: I give her 4cups of milk in a day. Two in the morning and other two at night. In the noon time I also give her buttermilk and she is NOT AT ALL FAT

Nancy, Apr 13, 2017
  11. summerRain

Debs New Member

My 3 month Labradoodle loves milk sits by the fridge in the morning and waits for his drink. His breeder fed him milk and we have continued with no digestive problems at all.

Debs, Jul 26, 2017
  12. summerRain

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

Many dogs enjoy the taste of milk, but not all dogs can digest it well. Most puppies can digest milk to some extent because they have higher levels of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose (the sugar in milk). However, as dogs grow older, their lactase levels typically decrease, and they may become lactose intolerant. This means that drinking milk can lead to digestive issues like diarrhea or upset stomach in many adult dogs.

If you want to give your dog a milk-based treat, it's safer to use lactose-free milk or specially formulated dog milk products available in pet stores. Always introduce new foods or treats in moderation and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions. If you're unsure about your dog's tolerance for milk, it's a good idea to consult with your veterinarian.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Nov 4, 2023
Ask a Question