Dogs and Their Sun Spots

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My Lab used to love laying in the sun. She would follow the sun spot all over the living room. Here is a photo of her looking quite comfortable: (That was her dog bed and not a humongous pillow...LOL)

[​IMG]

Misha was not interested in the sun. She is my little burrower. But, since she turned 3, I have noticed that she, too, wants to lay in sun spot. It usually shines on the spot between my bed and dresser in the morning. You will almost always find Misha in that spot for an hour or so.

Does your dog seek out the sun spots in your house? Do they prefer the warmth of the sun or a shady place? I wonder if dogs in warmer places prefer staying out of the sun rather than laying in it like my dogs.

Melody, Jun 17, 2012
  2. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I may only be speaking for my dogs but I should think that dogs in hot countries would be looking for cool nooks and crannies instead. Candy definitely doesn't look for sunspots. If it's hot, she's very likely to lie on the wet floor in the bathroom.

Victor Leigh, Jun 17, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I sometimes find our dog lying where there is a sun on him. It was in a certain part/place inside the compound and he seems really relaxed under the sun for some time. ;)

zararina, Jun 17, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Victor, it would make sense. Dogs are smart enough to seek a cool shady place when it is warm. I doubt they would want the sun on their back when it is hot like where you live.

Zararina, it seems they will always have a favorite place to do their sunning.

Melody, Jun 17, 2012
  5. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

One of my dogs would drench himself under the sun for hours because he has fleas and mange on his back. I guess it's his way warding them off from his body. He's our dog that doesn't want to be touched or petted. So, long gone is the hope for us to cure it with baths and medicine. We can't even approach him.

But for the others such as Peanuts and Chooey, they're the type who prefers looking for an electric fan spot rather than a sun spot because we live in a tropical country and it's hot.

haopee, Jun 20, 2012
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves sleeping in the sun. I'm always worrying about it, because I don't want him to overheat, but he doesn't listen to me and doesn't want to move. His favourite place is in front of our house, on the stairs. He spends there every morning during summer.

claudine, Aug 28, 2012
  7. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I need to find pictures of ours doing the same thing. All of the pets do actually. So I have pictures of the cat and dog trying to share the same sun spot....and then moving throughout the day to get in the same one, hehe.

Jessi, Aug 28, 2012
  8. Melody

supergirl Active Member

Yeah my dog has the exact same set up in front of our bay window, with a pillow. So on those sunny days - that come rarely in the UK - she lies there for a while, often with her bowl of water beside her. If I was to put a cocktail stick with fruit on it and a little umbrella their, it would be like she was on doggy holiday :)

supergirl, Sep 2, 2012
  9. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

If my dogs do have sun spots I have never discovered them. They usually lay in the sunlight in and out of the house.

My sister has a dog she needs to shave occasionally over the year due to a medical problem. She was told by her vet to apply sunblock, not screen but block and her dog when he was going outside for any length of time. To prevent his hide from developing a sunburn.

Pocs, Sep 2, 2012
Ask a Question