Dogs and Technology

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Sep 24, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

We've seen pets play with their owners gadgets; a cat playing with an iPad, a bird singing along with a smart phone, a dog punching the keyboards of the computer. My dogs have always enjoyed the electric fan and air conditioner. Back when we were all together with my mom, they would lie down beside the tiny opening from her door when she turned the air conditioner on. They would also situate themselves near the electric fan when it's too hot.

What kind of benefits have your dogs taken advantage of from using technology?

haopee, Sep 24, 2012
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer likes talking on the phone with my father:p . My father travels a lot and Homer loves him very much, so sometimes I let him hear my father's voice on the phone. Homer is always very surprised and he wags his tail:D

claudine, Sep 24, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. haopee

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our terrier was fascinated with voices coming out of the drive thru window menu at Dairy Queen. She would jump up to the driver side window and start barking into it really loud. I'm sure the cashier with the headset on loved that, lol.

The doorbell used to freak them out. I would play tricks on them from time to time, and ring the doorbell myself. They would go running to the door to see who is there, and be all confused when nobody was.

OhioTom76, Sep 24, 2012
  4. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer always barks like crazy when he hears the doorbell. I'm pretty sure he isn't scared of it, he just hates guests:( . When he hears the doorbell, he knows that somebody is coming and he is all ready to protect the house:p .

claudine, Sep 25, 2012
  5. haopee

Pippin Member

My dogs know what my TV is and when they want me to turn it on, they get super excited around it. It makes me wonder if they are curious to know what's on TV, or if there was something that saw on it and remember that.

It would be super nice to have something where we can actually communicate with them because I would love to talk to my dogs.

Pippin, Aug 16, 2016
  6. haopee

Corzhens Well-Known Member

The only technology that we use for our dogs is the camera. They know how to pose in the camera because we always take their picture or video. So when they see the camera, they consciously to look at the camera. However, our youngest dog Barbie is sometimes stubborn and she deliberately moves her face away from the camera. But that's just an antic when she is not in the mood. Likewise with the tv, what they avail of is not the video but only the audio. They sleep soundly when the tv is on maybe because ambient sound is deadened by the tv's audio.

Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016
  7. haopee

SirJoe New Member

i think that dogs associate things to us or to something else. I'm a amateur photographer so every time I go near the camera one of my dogs knows that I'm going out and will come up to me with the broadest smile. Nether of them like to be photographed, it's practically imposable to get them to sit still. I only have blurry shots of them. lol

SirJoe, Aug 16, 2016
  8. haopee

remnant Well-Known Member

I believe most things constitute technology depending on the angle you are viewing things from. Even the vet medicines that dogs are given when they are sick constitute biotechnology. One area where dogs are benefitting from technology is that its now easy to rescue a dog in destress from torment by a cruel master or rescue them from an emergency through messaging services.

remnant, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question