Dogs and Swimming Pools?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

As the Summer gets warmer in the US, I was wondering if anyone has a swimming pool for their dog. A pool can be the perfect way to cool off a dog (and people) in the blazing heat. Do you have a human pool that the dog can join you in? Do you have a special pool for the dog alone? Have you found other ways to keep your dog cool, especially those of you who live in hot places?

We don't have one for Misha. It doesn't get hot too many times here. I wouldn't put out a lot of money, but I have thought of one of those plastic kiddie pools. I was looking online and there are pools made for dogs that go for upwards for $180! I don't think I'd ever spend that much for the dog to get wet.

This dog has his own "one dog" pool. It's a bit small, don't you think? But it does seem to do the job.

Melody, Jul 7, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

We do have a pool that our current dog could get into if he wanted to, but he chooses not to. The only times he's been in are when he's been trying to get something and fallen in. Oops!

For a previous dog, we didn't have a pool, but he had a big water dish meant for pigs, hehe. He's splash around in that and any time we went to refill it, he'd insist on us spraying him, too, so that was a good way to cool down.

Jessi, Jul 8, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

The horse was annoyed to see a dog on its drinking dish. LOL
    Our dog does not love water much so, I am sure he would not want to have a pool. We just give our dog/dogs a bath daily when it is too hot.

zararina, Jul 8, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

If you can't find yourself wanting to buy a dog pool to cool your dog down you can make an ice posicle instead.
    Get a small icecream container, add water and some chicken stock or broth which can be made from left over chicken carcass and add some doggie teats.
    Blended left over vegetables also can be used.
    Freeze the container and on a hot day give it to your dog to keep it cool and occupy them.

argon_0, Jul 10, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy is happy to sit in a tub of water the whole day long. It doesn't have to be big. So long as she can fit in it, she's happy.

Victor Leigh, Jul 10, 2012
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I wish my dog liked water more. I'm really worried about him when it's hot, I'm scared he'll overheat. If he sit in a pool like that, it would be refreshing for him. Do you think that there is any chance that he'll get used to water? I'd buy something like this, but I'm afraid he won't use it. He hates his baths.

claudine, Sep 4, 2012
  7. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

We have a family pool. Gix occasionally will jump in and take a few laps with no coaxing. Gizmo really isn't a pool fan. Gix loves the pool but doesn't like a swimming partner. He prefers to swim alone.

Pocs, Sep 4, 2012
  8. Melody

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

When my Pommy was little we bought a baby/kid's pool for him. He didn't like to play in it, but he loved for us to throw rubber duckies in it so he could pick them out and throw them back on the ground! He does love the bath tub though, so I guess he prefers his indoor aquatics. :) My Labrador on the other hand absolutely loves the full size swimming pool my grandparents have. The first thing we did when we introduced him to the pool, was to teach him how to get out, whether it's at the side or the steps. Now he swims like crazy and when he gets tired he just swims over and gets out on his own. He absolutely loves it! :)

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 4, 2012
  9. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

None of my dogs would get into it, they cannot stand water. We tried once with a kiddie pool, and they were having none of that. Whats rough was that we didn't have air conditioning either, so when it was really hot, sometimes we would put cold rags on them or some ice packs. I would occasionally pile them all into my car and crank the air up full blast, maybe take them to get an ice cream.

OhioTom76, Sep 8, 2012
  10. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

You don't have to waste money on a specialty dog pool, just get one of those cheap plastic kiddie pools from a regular store like walmart or a kid's store. My bigger dog loves playing in the kiddie pool, the little one doesn't like getting wet as much though. The dogs at the local boarding place are given a kiddie pool during the summer on hot days, too, and they have a blast with that.

Nick87, Sep 28, 2012
Ask a Question