Dogs and other pets

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by bellahpereira, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I have one little pup, but am thinking of getting a second soon. I also have two budgies, and my pup doesn't seem to react too well to them already. I don't think he understands the concept of flying and therefore freaks out whenever they fly above him. My budgies try to be his friend, by getting close and trying to land on him, but my dog doesn't seem to understand. I wondered if other people have dogs and other pets and whether they do or do not react well with one another.

This is an old video, and I probably only started recording it after he'd done his cute lunging, but this is his reaction on video:

bellahpereira, Dec 7, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  2. bellahpereira

argon_0 Well-Known Member

What a nice little video.:)
    I have only Mishka and two chickens which free range outside.:confused:
    She gets on okay with them but sometimes will give them a bit of a tease and chase them. I think she does it to show who's boss.
    I've owned two dogs previously and found that they got up to more mischief then having one.
    I'm sure you would be fine if you know how to deal with even this doggie/ budgie situation.

argon_0, Dec 7, 2012
  3. bellahpereira

zararina Well-Known Member

The video was so cute!
    We have a dog and a cat and they are just fine with each other. Although there are times that they get irritated with each other. :p

zararina, Dec 7, 2012
  4. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

Adorable video, thank you for sharing it! Rafa looks so cute and pensive:D . I couldn't have any more pets, my Homer hates other animals, he simply doesn't tolerate them and wants to attack everything. He is extremely jealous:(
    btw: These blue walls look so pretty!:D

claudine, Dec 7, 2012
  5. bellahpereira

pafjlh Well-Known Member

That was a cute little video,your dog is so adorable. He looked like he was fascinated by the birds how he kept watching them. As for having more then one dog, I have had more then one dog over the years, and they seem to be accepting of each other. Its a good idea to consider doing this while your dog is still a puppy so that the two dogs can grow together and become adjusted to one another.

pafjlh, Dec 9, 2012
  6. bellahpereira

Melody Well-Known Member

What a cute video! You dog seems very intent on the birds. Do you trust him with them? I've seen that look on my previous dog's face (the Lab). It was when she met my brother's duck. It didn't go to well and they had to be separated. However, their dog and the duck get along swimmingly. The dog went after the duck a couple of times, but the duck fought back so fiercely that the dog gave up. They've roamed the yard together for years without any problem.

Right now, I only have Misha, which is enough. She does have sleep overs with my sister's dog. They get along well, mostly by ignoring the existence of each other.

When I was growing up we had a Cocker Spaniel Poodle and all sorts of other pets. I remember she had to be watched around the hamsters but I don't think she had any trouble with the outdoor pets (chickens, turtle, etc.). We had our Collie when we had a Cockatiel. I honestly can't remember how she reacted to it. The rest of us weren't thrilled. It started in at 4 am the second the sun began to rise.

Melody, Dec 10, 2012
  7. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

I agree:D . He looks like he was thinking: 'hmmm...I wonder if they're tasty' - I'm sure this is what my Homer would think if I owned birds:p

claudine, Dec 10, 2012
    bellahpereira likes this.
  8. bellahpereira

Mishka chasing the chickens sounds adorable, although I'm sure that the chicken's don't think so :p I would assume that it's partly to show who's boss and partly to see if they can be caught, lol. I am currently thinking of getting a second dog as I am moving to a larger house, but I'm not sure how much more mischief I could handle :p Rafa has learned to settle down a bit with the birds, but he still tries to catch them while they fly and tries biting into the air when they fly above him. Yesterday, Angel (The blue budgie), tried to land on Rafa's head and I think it may have given him quite a scare. I don't think he'll be approaching the budgies any time soon :p

bellahpereira, Dec 10, 2012
  9. bellahpereira

Thanks Claudine! I didn't intend on having these budgies with Rafa either but I found Tweetee (the yellow one) on the street one day as I was walking. She looked cold and lost so I brought her home, put up flyers but no one called me about her. I decided to adopt her and get her a friend (Angel - the blue one). I didn't even consider Rafa when trying to save this little girl, but I hope they start learning how to behave real soon. I'm hoping to get a video of Angel trying to jump onto Rafa and when I do, I'll put it up for your enjoyment :p

10. bellahpereira

Thank you! Yes, I considered that to be an important factor. I'm not sure how young the first pup would have to be for them to still consider themselves as growing up together. Rafa is 2 right now and I don't want him to feel as if I'm getting another puppy to replace him or anything. I do hope they take well to each other because I was considering getting a dog that looks just like him! But I don't want him to be afraid :p

11. bellahpereira

I trust him, but I feel like I need to be close by, even if not watching them in case I hear the birds becoming angry or frightened. Angel (the blue one), has tried to land on Rafa's head and has tried to bite Rafa's nose when Rafa gets too close. Unfortunately, Tweetee is more relaxed then that, so she will just sit there and wait to see what Rafa is doing and not move in fear :p I feel like Angel wants to be Rafa's friend but Rafa is having a hard time understanding birds. I found him in the back yard a week after getting the birds looking at other things that flew very intently. I think that at this point, he's just really curious. Luckily, I keep them in different parts of the house, so if Rafa wants to go near the birds, he has to ask me first :D

The dog-duck story is really cute! I wish I had a cute little duck. My boyfriend had some when he was a kid, but they're all dead now :(

Ask a Question