Dogs and Halloween

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Do you get Trick or Treaters in your area? If so, how does your dog deal with it? I know some people don't open the door at all because their dog is really bad.

Misha is terrible with strangers at the door. We'll be locked in the spare room, so that the Trick or Treaters can get their candy. She'll probably still bark the whole time.

I have a feeling we won't have many. They are calling for rain, which usually keeps most people indoors.

Do you have any tips for dealing with the fear many dogs feel towards this evening?

Melody, Oct 29, 2012
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

We don't celebrate Halloween here where I live and the only one reason why I'm happy about it is my Homer. I'm sure he would be so angry if we had visitors. He would bark all the time and I'm sure he would scare off all of the children:( I wouldn't know what to do:(

claudine, Oct 29, 2012
  3. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My dogs hate Halloween. They constantly see strangers coming to our house and don't understand why. They are barking for most of the evening because of the amount of people coming to our front door.

pafjlh, Oct 30, 2012
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because of the moon? Scientist have research about the scientific correlation between the full moon and people's reaction and activities during such. It's possible that it can affect dogs too. :D

If it's about strangers... The best way is to desensitize her by introducing her to strangers in a controlled setting. Or you could try puppy play dates.

haopee, Oct 31, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I kept Misha in the spare room with me. She did pretty good. She barked when they knocked but I was able to calm her easily. I had music on, so she couldn't hear very much. She slept a little and we played.

It wasn't until the last three groups had to ring the doorbell that she got frantic. I couldn't calm her for anything. After that, we closed the door because it was almost 8pm. We only had 26 kids so there weren't that many out there.

Melody, Nov 1, 2012
  6. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have found that Buddy and Oso are like a little alert system on Halloween. They stand by the back gate and every time they start barking like crazy we knew that trick or treaters were coming. Sure enough, for the most part that's exactly how it went. The poor things, we had a record 71 kids this year.

pafjlh, Nov 2, 2012
  7. Melody

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

We keep our dog either outside in back, or in her kennel during this time. We actually did not hand candy out this year, because both of my daughters went trick or treating. I am sure my dog who was inside heard a lot of kids passing on our block. I am betting she barked a little bit, but nothing was torn apart when we got home, so that was a good sign I guess! lol.

dashboardc33, Nov 2, 2012
  8. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No Halloween celebrations where I live now or where I lived before. If there were, I don't think my dogs will take kindly to strangers coming up to the door. As it is, they will even become agitated if a stranger would just pass by on the road. I just can't imagine how they will behave if someone in a Halloween costume turns up. At the very least, they will bark the house down.

Victor Leigh, Nov 3, 2012
  9. Melody

Johanna Well-Known Member

Hate Halloween. Many animals (true) not kidding are stolen for ritual abuse among covens. It's true

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question