Dogs and Boundaries

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Have you ever noticed that dogs can be trained to not cross over boundaries that they would otherwise be able to pass easily? My Lab never once jumped over the dog gate in the house even though she could have done so easily. She never went in the garage even though my Dad sometimes forgot to close the little gate he put up to block her while he worked in the garage.

This video shows a little more extreme example. I think this is a little bit mean. The person calls the dog "stupped" even though they themselves can't spell it correctly. I think the dog had an experience with a beverage can where it was knocked over and made noise. Most dogs learn quickly how to avoid scary things.

Melody, Jul 6, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ugh. Yeah, that annoys me that they called it "stupped." Just because it knows not to cross the line certainly doesn't make it stupid. And that duck toy is really annoying, too. :S

Jessi, Jul 6, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I do know that dogs could learn not to cross a boundary. ;)
    Our dogs usually would not get out of the gate even it was left open. And sometimes they are told not to get out of a room and they seem to understand.

zararina, Jul 7, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dogs learn so fast that you can set them up with boundaries.
    They love it because they enjoy learning. I guess you can be mean to them in your training.
    I have an infra red trail camera set up to take video of native animals. Mishka always waits for me to turn it off first.It didn't take much to ask her to wait at that boundary.

argon_0, Jul 7, 2012
Ask a Question