Dog tax

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I was talking the other day with my mom about the fact we need to pay a tax of 70 euros a year for each dog you own. I have heard in the US and other places people don't really have to pay a ''dog tax''. I was wondering how true that is? Do you have to pay a tax for each dog you own? or you don't have to?

You don't have to pay tax for cats, only dogs. I think I heard they started charging that because a lot people did and still do take their dogs out for a walk... and you know what that means! Someone had to pay for that, I'm glad only dog owners have to pay, applying this tax to everyone would be so unfair. Don't you think?

Trellum, Sep 15, 2015
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

70 euros is a lot of money!:eek: In my country, most people don't pay a 'dog tax';) Dog food, toys, treats and other things our four legged friends need are expensive enough.

claudine, Sep 16, 2015
  3. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We don't have to pay dog tax here, but I think it is sort of a fair rule! I There are many irresponsible dog owners who just left a pile of "gift" in public places, and if it is on the lawn of someone's house, the owner usually has to take care of that.

I would especially love to have a rule for cat owners as well! We just have too many street cats in our neighborhood, and they love to go into people's garden to use as their litter box. My front garden is it and I had enough of cleaning it out.

IcyBC, Sep 16, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  4. Trellum

Yeah, that is the only reason I don't complain. Plus only dog owners have to pay that tax, non owners don't. But I do think they should do the same with cats too. A lot people in the Netherlands let their cats free, so they can go poo somewhere else, because they are to lazy and cheap to buy cat litter and clean the litter box... I really dread gardening there for the same reason.

But I think those same cheap people would protest so badly if they had to pay that tax. I think the government doesn't care, because this kind of thing only happens in our gardens (according to them) :( It's so unhealthy! A lot health risks, cat poop is dangerous... but if I say that to my MIL she will say I am crazy.

Trellum, Sep 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. Trellum

Oh so is not required by the law to pay the dog tax in Poland? I'm not sure if the Netherlands is the only place where this is done, I think (but I am not 100% sure) they also do it Norway. This dog tax has stopped a lot people I know from owning a dog, because, yes, 70 euros is a lot cash!

Trellum, Sep 17, 2015
  6. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I don't think we have any such thing here. I get them licenced and that is it. Actually, this reminds me I have to call and get Ginger registered since she does not seem to be going anywhere. This morning I would have been happy to send her away. She is always starting a noise. Everybody's trying to sleep and she starts barking at 3am. What am I going to do with her? Love her I guess.

Winterybella, Sep 17, 2015
  7. Trellum

@Winterybella In my country of origin they don't ask for a dog tax yearly either ;) I wish they did though, I bet we'd have very few stray dogs, over here dogs are seen as they are nothing important. People can just get rid of them or do whatever they want with them... it's so sad :( And that Ginger, she is such a character as well :p Maybe she can see ghosts? :p and that is why she keeps on barking at 3:00 a.m

Trellum, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Trellum

Officially it is required by the law, at least in some cities, but most people ignore it;)
    I don't think I could afford paying 70 euros a year:confused:

claudine, Sep 22, 2015
  9. Trellum

@claudine Does it cost 70 euros a year over there as well? Or is it less? I've no idea of they charge that much in the other European countries, I thought 70 euros is too much, but I thought they charged that much only in the Netherlands.

Trellum, Sep 22, 2015
  10. Trellum

morgoodie Member

We do not have a dog tax but they do have to have a license so that costs some money but it is not that expensive unless the dog is not fixed. I think it would be a good idea as then maybe people that do not take care of their dogs would think twice before getting dogs in the first place. Of course, I am not sure that really would make a difference though.

morgoodie, Mar 6, 2016
  11. Trellum

To be honest I don't know, but I think it's less. We have a different currency here and Euro is quite expensive. Most people wouldn't want to pay such a high tax.

claudine, Mar 19, 2016
  12. Trellum

I understand :( The Netherlands is known for its crazy high taxes, sadly. I agree with dog owners paying a tax, but I think cat owners should pay a tax too.

Trellum, Mar 19, 2016
  13. Trellum

If their reinforced that tax like they do in the Netherlands I think it would make a difference :) Like registering everyone who buys or adopt a dog, since in the Netherlands you don't really see strays or anything like that. So I think it works. No stray cats either, by the way.

Trellum, Mar 19, 2016
  14. Trellum

They definitely should.
    There is a lady in my neighborhood who walks her cat on a leash:p We met them once. Homer was very confused, he didn't know whether to bark at that cat or not:p

claudine, Mar 25, 2016
  15. Trellum

Lol, I can imagine that!!! Did he end up barking at the cat or not? :p Oh sweet Homer, i miss seeing pictures of him :) And lol at the lady who walks her cat :p But on a serious note... I've heard it's very hard to train a cat t walk on a leash D: So kudos to the lady.

Trellum, Mar 25, 2016
  16. Trellum

Johanna Well-Known Member

Ugh yuk!!! Must be horrible

Johanna, Mar 28, 2016
  17. Trellum

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Gee, it's only now I heard of dog tax. But I'm sure I wouldn't mind paying tax for our dogs as long as everyone pays too. In our community, there is a motion to have the dogs registered for a very minimal fee of less than 1 Euro. However, the motion is being countered by the community since it is an added burden to the residents. But the point of the proposed ordinance is to eradicate the stray dogs, meaning owners should keep their dogs and not let them loose in the streets. I wonder why the city pound is not rounding up the stray dogs in our community... because the owners would be putting up a fight.

Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016
Ask a Question