Dog Licenses and Rabies Vaccination Proof

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 21, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Where I live it is the law that all dogs over a certain age must get the rabies vaccine and they must have a dog license with the rabies certificate on file with the local animal shelter. Is a dog license required where you live?

I found out over the weekend that a friend has never bought a dog license for his 11 year old dog. The veterinarian that they go to does not provide a rabies tag either. We got into a discussion about this since there is a fine for not having this paperwork on file.

He seemed to think that it wasn't important and that they make it too difficult to get a dog license. He has the money, so it isn't an issue of not being able to pay for it. When I got Misha's dog license, all I did was contact the office. They mailed me a form. I sent back the fee and a copy of her rabies certification. The fee was reduced because she is spayed. I think it was $7 for 3 years.

Do you think that a dog license should be required for dogs? Is the process inconvenient? What do you think would happen to the dog if he bites someone and the owner doesn't have the proof of a dog license or the rabies vaccination?

Melody, May 21, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Fortunately rabies isn't an issue here. It sounds all rather bureaucratic. We need to microchip all dogs. This law was started last year and also the local Council requires you to have a dog licence.. Personally I think having a dog license now is superseded by the micro-chipping but I doubt the Councils will want to give up their yearly money earner.

argon_0, May 22, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, the dog license fee is one of the ways they fund the local animal shelters. It's your proof of rabies vaccination as well. They mail you a tag which your dog has to have on its collar.

I'm pretty sure in my area if you don't have proof of rabies vaccination it's automatic quarantine if a dog bite is reported.

W don't have mandatory microchipping in my country that I am aware of.

Melody, May 22, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think a license is something to be too too concerned about, no. To have vaccines up to date and proof of it somewhere is very important. Often times, if there's no record of a dog having his rabies vaccine recently, if it bites a person, the person has to go through a series of really painful vaccines instead, "just in case." It's much, much easier to prevent that than to try to deal with it after in the event that there's no proof.

Jessi, May 23, 2012
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Microchipping maybe a way you can include the vaccinations in you country?

argon_0, May 24, 2012
Ask a Question