Dog Injury Scare (It's okay now)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Phew! I had one of those evenings where you aren't sure if you're going to have to rush to the emergency vet.

Misha went outside to do her business this afternoon, crouched down, and then, did this weird jump forward. She came in the house limping. She was in pain and wouldn't put her paw down.

I checked her all over. I looked for swelling because she is allergic to insect bites. I rubbed and touched her paw and pads to see if she had something stuck in her foot. I massaged and poked her leg and hip to see if anything was sore. She never reacted. This is unusual because she is very dramatic even with the smallest injury. Also, she rarely lets me touch her paw without growling. But, she was completely calm and submissive.

So, I got her blanket and covered her. She laid in the living room for 3 hours or so not moving. I kept an eye on her to make sure there wasn't any swelling. Then, she got up and ran around the kitchen perfectly okay. I think she must have gotten a muscle cramp. It's the only explanation I can come up with for such a quick recovery.

I'm glad she is fine. Unless she started to show signs of allergic reaction, I would have waited until tomorrow to see how she was. She's only 10 pounds so I could carry her wherever she needed to go.

Boy! These dogs make you worry as if you're a parent!

Have you had one of these scares where you're ready to get to the Veterinarian if need be, then a few hours later it's as if the dog wasn't injured or sick at all?

Melody, Jul 16, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Don't we all?!? ;)

When Peanuts was still a wee pup she accidentally fell while she was jumping at me and she let out a really painful wail. I looked at her and she was still wailing. I tried putting her in my lap and she still kept on wailing as if her entire body was in pain. I checked for broken bones and anything out of the ordinary and found out she had cramped leg muscle.

I did some massaging and after awhile, she was up and running again.

Seriously! The things they do to make us worry!

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice to know that she is okay now. :)
    Yes, I do worry too when something is wrong to our dogs and we cannot seem to exactly figure out what it is. It can make us their "guard" or "look out" to make sure nothing is serious.

zararina, Jul 16, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm glad she's okay.

Do you keep the equivalent of an epi-pen on hand for the insect bite allergy? Or is it something you can't keep at home and you're forced to take her in if something happens like that?

Jessi, Jul 17, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who worries. :D I figured I could nurse a sore leg. I've done my share of nursing. An allergic reaction is another thing.

Jessi, I have Benadryl on hand just in case. I don't know if they have epi-pens for dogs.

The first time she had an allergic reaction was peculiar. It was the same day that my Dad was in emergency surgery. She only showed swelling in her left "lip" for several hours. Then, around 8 pm, it was as if the venom spread. Within an hour she swelled from head to tail. I rushed her to emergency because I did not know what was wrong. It turned out she had a bump from a spider bite right under her collar.

The second time she was running in the yard. Then, she started yelping and shrieking and wouldn't use her front paw. She wouldn't even let me touch it. We rushed her to the Vets immediately. She wouldn't let the Vet do an x-ray, so given that her paw was half swollen we guessed that it was a wasp sting--and we guessed right. She didn't have nearly as many problems that time because we treated it so soon.

This is what she looked like after the spider bite
    [​IMG]

This is kind of funny. This is what she looked like the day after getting the shot. It deflated her ears!
    [​IMG]

Melody, Jul 17, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awwww! She looks so miserable. :( I wonder what's going on with her ears with the medicine difference, though, hmm.

Jessi, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question