Dog hair to keep away skunks?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pocs, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

In my area we have many skunks that seem to come visiting from time to time. Gix has been sprayed not once but twice. He thinks all animals are his friend and didn't learn his listen the first time. I didn't want the hassle of traps or killing them, that's just wrong. I could never do that, they are just trying to live also. My grandfather told me that dog hair will keep them away. The skunks would think there were many dogs around and avoid the area. It works great. I have to spread it over the perimeter of the yard and add to it every several weeks or so. Such a great tip. Every time I groom the dogs I spread their hair.

Pocs, Sep 3, 2012
  2. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this. The only thing I've been told is to make sure there are no holes under the fence. Skunks don't climb, but they will take advantage of small holes under fences.

We have them in our area, too. I take Misha out on leash at night just in case. Sometimes I can smell the spray, so I know one is in the neighborhood. She has never been sprayed (though we had a close call on a walk one day when a bird startled a sleeping skunk). However, our neighbors got a puppy last year. Within the first 3 months, the dog was sprayed 4 times.

My sister's dog got sprayed three years ago. The smell lingered for almost 6 months. They bathed her in the special recipe that the emergency clinic told them to use--multiple times. The groomer bathed her, too. She was the cleanest dog around.
    What the Vet thinks happened is the spray got in one of her glands because she was sprayed in the face/front. Every time the gland secreted it also leaked a little bit of skunk odor. Eventually, it did go away.

Melody, Sep 3, 2012
  3. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Nothing like passing down knowledge and now much easier on forums.
    I've never had to deal with skunks in this country. It sounds rather nasty. It's bad enough when your dog smells bad in its day to day life let alone from being sprayed. Do skunks live around the city or in neighbourhoods? I've only thought of them being in the wilds.

argon_0, Sep 4, 2012
  4. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

This is funny, I'd never guess that dogs hair can have this effect on skunks. I wonder if it could keep away other animals too? In my area there are no skunks but I have some problems with martens.

claudine, Sep 4, 2012
  5. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

argon, I'm not sure about elsewhere. I live in an area that is suburban but borders greenbelt regions. We have refuges and natural areas around us. The animals live close to us and sometimes move around our neighborhoods. Raccoons, squirrels, opossum, and skunks aren't uncommon here.

There are problems with this. Some cities are moving too much into what was animal habitat. In some areas, people encounter mountain lions in their neighborhoods because we are building in their former habitat. It is not a comfortable relationship.

Melody, Sep 5, 2012
  6. Pocs

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of doing this, though we never really had any problems with skunks in our area. How much dog hair are we talking here? Like visible amounts of it or just a little bit? I would imagine there would already have been some dog hair around our yard as we would let them out to play regularly.

OhioTom76, Sep 9, 2012
Ask a Question