Dog Grooming

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by amy005, Feb 21, 2012.

1. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

I am embarrassed to say I haven't really been keeping up with grooming my dog the past few months with the addition to my family. It has gotten to the point where chunks of his hair is pretty much matted together.. I feel so bad and lately have been trying to just cut off the matted pieces but there are so many of them there must be a better way? Anyone know of anything out there that helps this?

amy005, Feb 21, 2012
  2. amy005

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the best way to deal with mats is to prevent them in the first place. If they have gotten bad, try a "dematter." These tools (like the Furminator) dig into the mats and break apart the clumps, while causing relatively little discomfort to your dog. There are also liquid compounds that can be rubbed into the mat to loosen the fur, allowing combs and dematters to work more efficiently.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 22, 2012
  3. amy005

summerRain Well-Known Member

Would it be fine if you use razor machine cut those matted fur of your dog? I've done this before with my very first dog. These can allow for new fur too grow.

summerRain, Feb 24, 2012
  4. amy005

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

How about using some clippers and shaving him completely, is that an option? It would get rid of the mats and he would probably feel much better. Of course if it's cold where you are or you like the long hair then I guess it wouldn't be preferable but that's what I would do.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 24, 2012
  5. amy005

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think what your dog needs is a fresh start, fur-wise. Off with all of it. I am sure your dog would feel very relieved by the change. Then don't neglect your dog's grooming again.

Here's a dog that seems to be enjoying getting a clean start:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
    summerRain likes this.
  6. amy005

Clippers will work perfectly to get rid of the matted fur. Just keep him warm at home during winter while waiting for his new and fresh fur to grow.

summerRain, Feb 25, 2012
  7. amy005

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have completely shaved one of my Shih Tzus before. I started with a pair of scissors to cut the hair down to size, so to say. When the hair left is only about one inch long, I used an electric clipper. Half-an-hour later, I had a very naked-looking dog who was actually very happy to be rid of all that hair.

Victor Leigh, Feb 25, 2012
  8. amy005

When a dog is shaved down completely, it is robbed of protection from heat and/or cold (depending on the coat structure), water, dirt, or debris. Shaving is not to be done lightly and should only be done in the most extreme of matting situations. When a dog is matted in discrete areas, it is best to break apart the mats using a pair of scissors or a dematter. The mat should be sprayed with a coat conditioner and water mixture or with an actual dematting solution. Work the solution into the mat until the mat feels as if the hairs are beginning to move under your fingers. Cut vertically into the mat at the weakest point--you don't want to separate the mat from the coat; rather, you want to divide the hairs in the mat to preserve as much coat as possible. Using the dematter/scissors, your fingers, and a wide-toothed metal comb, gently separate your dog's hairs. If you can, hold the mat with one hand and separate the hairs with the other, so that you aren't pulling hard against the dog's skin. It can take some work to de-mat the dog's coat, but it's easier on you and on the dog than shaving down entirely. If you do decide to shave instead of groom, then do as Victor says and cut the dog's hair first, removing the mats from the coat before shaving. Mats can hide sores and you don't want to further damage sore skin with the clipper blades.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 25, 2012
  9. amy005

Clippers have certain shaving level so that you don't have to bare all the skin of your dog. I just choose the clippers because I have an active lifestyle. I am afraid of using scissors too so I am sticking to clippers instead. :)

summerRain, Feb 25, 2012
  10. amy005

I have been active in conformation showing for some time, so I know that clippers have different levels and different blades; however, the fact remains that clippers are a poor choice when it comes to mats. You take the risk of burning your dog, cutting its skin, or painfully pulling hairs out by the roots.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 25, 2012
  11. amy005

Yorkie78 Member

I have two large, mixed breed dogs that I only groom once or twice per year. My Yorkie's hair grows so fast that I have to groom it myself. Seriously, if I took him to the groomer every time he needed a bath or haircut, we would be homeless. He already eats more expensive food than my human family!!

Yorkie78, Feb 25, 2012
    SheWolfSilver likes this.
  12. amy005

Thank you for your concern fellow but I've already done a free clipper de-matting session on my neighbor's dog. I've been using my clipper to groom my nieces for two years and fortunately there's nothing bad happened to the dog I've just groomed. She looks happy after I finished the session followed by a nice bath to freshen her up.

summerRain, Feb 26, 2012
  13. amy005

zararina Well-Known Member

LOL the dog seems to like being trimmed/bald like his owner. :p

zararina, Feb 26, 2012
  14. amy005

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I agree, if you start all over with new fresh fur and keep it brushed and clean you will have a much happier dog. Make sure to keep it trimmed, washed and the fur will stay fresh and clean.

wahcashmom, Mar 18, 2012
Ask a Question