Dog given away because owner thought it was Gay

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Yes, you heard that right. A man in Tennessee turned his dog in at an animal shelter because he thought the dog might be Gay. He saw the dog jump on the back of another male dog and came up with this idea that the dog was Gay. Well, he couldn't have none of that!

It has a happy ending. A woman who rescues dogs saw the story on Facebook. She has adopted the dog.

I can't imagine why anyone would think their dog is Gay, and if the dog was, why it would make any difference at all. I hope this guy doesn't get another dog. He'll probably find some other defect he can't live with.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/elton-the-gay-dog-spared-the-gas-chamber/

(It looks like Jessi and I started the same thread at the same time! What a coincidence!)

Melody, Jan 31, 2013
  2. Melody

shdws Well-Known Member

Well to my understanding, a male dog humping another male dog is usually a sign of dominance. So this guy should study more on dogs before getting another one, he's bound to see the same thing happen.

shdws, Feb 1, 2013
  3. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I saw this ridiculous story. I cant' believe the idiocy of some people in the world. I am so happy for his dog that he no longer has to live with that stupid person and has a new owner who will take good care of him.

MakingCents, Feb 1, 2013
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol, I just noticed the timing, too. The threads went live only a couple minutes apart. Yours is a longer description so would've taken a bit longer to type, which makes it even more coincidental that we both likely started right at the same time, too, ha!

Jessi, Feb 1, 2013
  5. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

This is a very funny coincidence:p
    Anyway, this story makes me so angry. I simply can't believe it. It's good it has a happy ending. I really hope this dog is happy with his new owners.

claudine, Feb 1, 2013
  6. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

What a narrow minded way of thinking. I can't believe that anyone would give up their dog all because they suspected the dog was gay. Am I to believe that finding this out changed the way the owner felt about the animal? I suppose so since they had no problem with giving him away because they suspected he was gay, not because they knew it. Besides as you said even if the dog is gay what does it matter, it doesn't change who the dog is, and it certainly shouldn't change how you feel about the canine. I'm glad this story did have a happy ending and this dog manage to find another home.

pafjlh, Feb 3, 2013
  7. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

On the bright side, this dog was safely taken out of the hands of a complete moron, and given to someone who actually would take care of him.

Nick87, Feb 4, 2013
  8. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's better this way. His previous owners shouldn't have any animals at all if they're cruel enough to abandon a dog for such a silly reason. I only worry he misses them anyway, dogs love us unconditionally:(

claudine, Feb 4, 2013
  9. Melody

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Amen to all & Thanks Melody & Jessi for the story. They say ignorance is bliss?

So in this nimrod's thinking, did that change anything of the dog, once he had this ridiculous epiphany? So all the time he spent with the dog prior to this, is now null & void?! Are the memories now somehow tarnished?

In the words of the Bunny of Bugs, "what a maroon!!!"

SweetBeast, Feb 5, 2013
  10. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. The man had it all wrong! Apparently he has no idea that male humping male in the dog world is actually of play of dominance. If that doesn't scream manly enough for him, then what else does!

This is just one of those crazy things people say to find a stupid excuse to run away from irresponsibility.

Well, at least Elton got to find a good home to take care of him.

haopee, Feb 6, 2013
  11. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We have a male dog humping the other male dog in our compound because there is no female dog around. LOL
    I do not think it was a sign of being gay, as others said, it may be a sign of domination or also a sign of no choice around. LOL again. :p

zararina, Feb 19, 2013
  12. Melody

Angelle Member

Oh dear, that is quite disturbing. I couldn't imagine giving away my dog for that reason. I don't think it should matter what the dog wants to hump. My dog used to hump her teddy bears but I wouldn't have given her away just because she does that. It's called being unique and different; as well as being themselves. Thank goodness that this woman came to that dog's rescue, and chose to care for a dog that deserved better treatment than that. I can't believe this story--shame on him.

Angelle, Feb 25, 2013
  13. Melody

Lex Active Member

Goodness! I'm seriously hoping that no one will ever let this ignorant man adopted another dog (nay, any pet), again. To give a way a pet because of a (possible) assumption of having a sexual orientation that you don't agree with? Please. Number one, that probably wasn't the reason that he was humping another male dog. Number two, that's not grounds for putting a pet up for adoption. Jeez. I'm so glad that the fella was rescued by that lovely woman.

Lex, Mar 4, 2013
  14. Melody

rdahl125 Member

Abandoning a pet because of something like this is just horrible. If this guy had done any research about being a dog owner, he would've realized that it meant absolutely nothing. And I think it's safe to say that this speaks volumes about his character not only as a pet owner, but as a person as well -- how stupidly homophobic can you possibly get? I'm just glad they managed to save that poor dog, I'm sure he's much happier now!

rdahl125, Mar 9, 2013
Ask a Question