Dog Germs May Be Good For Us, And Here's Why

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

This is some really good info for those who own at least one dog!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/24/dog-germs-good-for-us_n_6701058.html?utm_hp_ref=dogs

Trellum, Mar 28, 2015
  2. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Only this morning I was telling my son how special he was because as much as I love my bundles of joy, I have not been able to enjoy or entertain the complete face licking like my son does. I feel like I have read arguments supporting and others discouraging it over the years. I have not zoomed in on the subject recently, but I now when you present me with a thread that says "germs" may be good for us, you have my attention.

Winterybella, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Trellum

Hehehe, I know, that is something I don't enjoy much as well :p I've never liked to get my face or hands licked, yuck! But I really think that having close contact handling a dog is good for the immune system, specially for the little ones. Still, I'd not be sure I'd like a dog to lick my toddlers face!

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  4. Trellum

My son has/had some inflammatory issues following surgery close to a year ago. All I will say is that I had a rough time and to this day uncertainty still looms about what might be the root problem. For this reason even though he's a young man and should be able to make healthy decisions, something like the licks still make me a little uneasy. He on the other hand is perfectly fine with it and even encourages it. I would be lying if I said I like it in any way.

It took me a while before I would let them lick my fingers and toes but these days I'm okay with that. Those can be easily washed.

Winterybella, Mar 30, 2015
  5. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

This explains why I suffered from so many allergies when I was a kid. My parents refused to buy me a dog:( I remember I dreamed about having a four-legged friend. Every child should have one!

claudine, Mar 30, 2015
  6. Trellum

:):) I did not want to laugh but this is really funny when you think of it. How often have we heard that we ought to be careful of the germs and allergies from our pets. Now you are saying you should have had one to protect you from the allergies. There is an ocean of information out there.

Winterybella, Mar 30, 2015
  7. Trellum

Oh no! Allergies are the devil! I've many! I'm glad my dog is a schnauzer... the dog we had gave me the worst allergies ever as a kid. He shed a lot! Does your son have any issue with the dog hair as well? Any asthma issues? I think that as long as he washes after they lick him all is fine :) I personally don't like to let a dog lick my hands or toes, but it happens sometimes with my sister in law's dog. I can't help but to laugh when that happens.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
  8. Trellum

No asthma issues so far. So this breed you mentioned: the schnauzer. I looked them up. Ginger has a little look like they do. They have this shaggy hair. They don't shed a lot? I shall do my research. My son loves water, so I guess he might be alright, but as a mom I still worry a bit.

Winterybella, Mar 31, 2015
  9. Trellum

No, not at all! Mine never sheds, and if she ever does is just a little bit. Her hair needs to be groomed often, she needs a haircut every month, and needs a good brushing daily... their hair grows so long and so fast! They're so smart and kind dogs :) Actually your Ginger reminded me a bit of my Frida when she was a baby, she had that tiny bear! That then grow into a long thick and dark bear, lol. The eyebrows grow very long too, she looks like an old man with a long bear and eyebrows.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
Ask a Question