Dog Breeds to Avoid for People who are Allergic to Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Apr 4, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

According to DogBreedInfo.com, some breeds are a definite big no to allergy sufferers. Here's a list of some dogs to avoid if a person suffers from allergic reaction to dogs.

1. Afghan and Basset Hounds
    2. German Shepherd
    3. Shar-Pei
    4. Collie
    5. Springer and Cocker Spaniels
    6. Dachshunds
    7. Doberman Pinscher

haopee, Apr 4, 2012
  2. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I wonder about item number seven. If a person is allergic to dogs because of the fur, I don't think the Doberman should be on the list. I had a Doberman before and I know for sure that it had short hair and doesn't shed. I wonder what is the criteria used to compile that list.

Victor Leigh, Apr 5, 2012
  3. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I also have a doberman before and I think if the reason for allergy is the fur, it should not be in the list.
    I got curious what could be the reason about it. ;)

zararina, Apr 5, 2012
  4. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Good question. According to DogBreedInfo.com and a Yahoo Answer, Doberman Pinschers do shed averagely but compared to double coats, they don't do so profusely or in a yearly (seasonally) basis. However, one of the main reasons why it is included in the top dogs to avoid is because they are also prone to skin related problems and therefore likely to shed more dander (Asthma Magazine 2005).

haopee, Apr 5, 2012
  5. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I see. Now that you mention it, yes, I do remember my Doberman having skin problems. It's hair is so short that its skin gets dry very fast. That where I learned about the wonderful properties of Nivea Deep Moisturizing Milk because I used it, with good effect, on my Doberman.

Victor Leigh, Apr 7, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  6. haopee

King Browny Well-Known Member

I did this before. Using human products on dogs like shampoo and soap. It work wonders to their fur. However, when the freeloaders strike, I have to return the use of their dog soap and powder.

King Browny, Apr 9, 2012
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I like the term "freeloaders". How I wished there were lotions meant to moisturize the dog's skin at the same time keep the pesky little buggers away. It's a good thing parasites like mange can be managed and controlled simply by keeping our dogs healthy with the help of vitamins, diet, exercise and omega-3.

haopee, Apr 9, 2012
Ask a Question