Dog Breeds and Homeowners Insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 15, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I came across this article tonight. It's from 2010, but is probably still relevant. I am curious what people thing.

http://petnewsandviews.net/2010/05/pit-bulls-and-homeowners-insurance/

People claim that their homeowners insurance agents are getting particularly nosey about what type of dog they own. One woman claimed that when she approached one company she was asked about what dog breed she had. She was told specific breeds would make her uninsurable. Those breeds were: Pit Bull, Husky, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, and Akita. Some companies are charging more if you own an aggressive breed because they fear claims due to dog bites.

Is this something new? I don't recall ever hearing about homeowners insurance agents asking questions about if you owned a dog, what breed, and so forth. I have never owned a home, which is why I'm not familiar. I am curious if this is a widespread practice or isolated.

Melody, May 15, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting twist from what happened many years ago with my insurance company. I was robbed and at the time had two dogs. When the insurance assessor came and saw the two dogs he squatted down and waited to see what the dogs did. They weren't aggressive and he then knew we were not an insurance fraud because vicious dogs would deter thieves.

argon_0, May 15, 2012
Ask a Question