Dog breed stereotypes

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Even though not all pit bulls are mean or trained to be aggressive, sometimes they obviously are and it creates stereotypes. The same applies to little toy dogs being rather yappy...they aren't all, but often are.

What other dog breed stereotypes can you think of? Are they pretty reliable personality traits or just myths?

Jessi, Apr 18, 2012
  2. Jessi

mirage1440 New Member

I was shocked to learn that Great Danes are on the dangerous list for dogs. I wonder why that is... We have a Weimaraner, but as a horse owner, our insurance policy won't let us have certain breeds of dogs. I find it frustrating that stereotypes are placed on breeds.

mirage1440, Apr 18, 2012
  3. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

That pit bull looks so cute and harmless. :p
    I think that dog's behavior can vary on its owner too like how he was treated, trained or raised.
    Doberman on movies always are the dog to fear for but we used to have a lovely one here. ;)

zararina, Apr 18, 2012
  4. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I find it so funny how there are stereotypes on dog breeds. There's a stereotype for doberman pincher's that they are very aggressive animals, but I really think it all depends on how they are trained and raised.

dkramarczyk, Apr 22, 2012
  5. Jessi

kinser Well-Known Member

I have a German shepherd, and although he is protective of his family and property, he is the biggest baby in the world. Not an aggressive bone in his body (although, like I said, I think he would do whatever it takes when protection is an issue). My kids can lay all over him, and I have no fears that he will harm them. He is just a big teddy bear for the most part ♥.

kinser, Apr 22, 2012
  6. Jessi

kinser Well-Known Member

I think simply because of their size. Even though they are typically gentle, one bite will likely cause a lot of damage, whereas one bite from a much smaller, less-powerful dog will not always be a tragedy.

kinser, Apr 22, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I believe it's the movie industry that's mainly responsible for creating the stereotype images of the dogs.

Take the Doberman, for example. It's big. It's black. It's general demeanor is threatening. So it's easy to depict a Doberman as a killing machine. Which is very far from the truth. A Doberman can be trained to kill, no doubt. After all, it was bred to be a personal bodyguard. However when it attacks an intruder, it's only doing what it was bred to do. If nothing is threatening it's owner, a Doberman is a very amiable dog. Not overly friendly, perhaps, like a Golden Retriever, but nevertheless still a nice peace-loving kind of dog. I know because I have got one.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  8. Jessi

kristyleann Member

I have a rat terrier and I'm not really aware of any major stereotypes other than them being bad for digging (which is true, she digs up the yard all the time, but we aren't real picky about the yard so we don't care too much) but other than that I can't really think of anything.

My ex had some kind of bull dog - boxer mix and he was HUGE. He could have done some serious damage to someone if he wanted to, but he was the biggest baby I've ever seen. All he ever wanted to do was lick you to death. As much as I love dogs I'm not real fond of being licked on the face...so being around him was like being on a bad date...I'm a short person so he'd climb up on the sofa and sit next to me and his head would be at the same level as mine. Next thing I know he's very slowly (he was smart enough to know he had to be sneaky about it) leaning in for a kiss lol...I miss that dog, he was a sweetheart.

kristyleann, May 2, 2012
  9. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think your ex must have something like Hooch in the movie "Turner and Hooch". Does his dog look anything like this:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
Ask a Question