Does your dog's collar stay on at all times?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bellahpereira, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bellahpereira

Bloomsie Member

I don't really see collars being unsafe for a dog throughout the time that he or she is wearing it. It's made to fit perfectly, preventing that sort of action. But I can most definitely understand the communication aspect between you and your dog. Before we taught him about the collar, he would always come outside with us, thinking that whenever we go through the front door, it automatically means it's time for a walk. So that thought process of ensuring that they don't run out with you is definitely a good reason.

It's not a bell. Now that is something we definitely wouldn't be able to handle! It's just the dog permit along with his name tag. They both hit each other whenever he moves and it creates such a loud metal clanking noise. Haha!

Bloomsie, Dec 7, 2012
  2. bellahpereira

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog used to wear the collar all the time. But now,we totally removed it since our dog does not go out as he did not like it and it is not safe since there are lots of stray dogs outside.

zararina, Dec 7, 2012
  3. bellahpereira

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Bobbi only wears a collar to walk & to get to the car, in which she also walks - hmmm (!), anyway, I live in an upstairs condo, that has a small gate about 3'-4' tall. So when I have her inside the gate & on the deck, & I lock the gate behind me, the collar & leash come off, & she loves it once it's off ! And I never leave her on the deck when I leave my home, so she's very safe here, even without her collar.

Thanks for the question bellahpereira!

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  4. bellahpereira

tajnz Well-Known Member

When our dogs were safe indoors we'd often take their collars off. Our dogs were well trained and never tried to slip through a door that was open for a few seconds ;) . Also in New Zealand dogs are required to be mico chipped so if they did get lost an animal shelter or vet could scan them to find our details encoded on the microchips. :)

tajnz, Dec 12, 2012
  5. bellahpereira

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog has so many different collars. His flat collar, his pinch collar, he leader and his electric collar. He genarally wears his flat collar all the timeand one of the others as well when we go outside.

MakingCents, Dec 16, 2012
  6. bellahpereira

Lex Active Member

Our dogs are exactly the same way. This is mainly because our outside dog, Dumbledore, has recently learned how to unlatch the gate* and if he or any of the other dogs were to get out, I'd hate for them to be mistaken as strays with no collars. Doris is really the only dog that I don't have a collar on, 24/7, as she's quite old and stays in the house 99% of the time.

* We have since fixed the gate problem, since the last time Dumbledore got out, but y'know. Dogs are awfully smart.

Lex, Jan 9, 2013
  7. bellahpereira

shdws Well-Known Member

My dog has his collar on at all times. He doesn't seem to mind. In fact, I don't even think he notices. I only take it off when it's time for that dreaded bath :D.

shdws, Jan 9, 2013
  8. bellahpereira

firelily99 Well-Known Member

When we are out he will always have it on and I keep a spare in the car. At home I will take it off when I brush him and often times leave it off when we are in the house.-

firelily99, Feb 24, 2014
  9. bellahpereira

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, their collars stay on because they aren't micro chipped. If they were micro chipped, well... I'd still insist they keep their collar on at all time! Because you never know when they could get lost. Just the other day I saw a tiny poodle, but couldn't stop to take it into the car and check his/her collar! I felt so sorry for that, because I was quite sure that tiny dog was lost and confused, I hope someone find it before getting hit by a car.

Trellum, Mar 24, 2014
  10. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is micro chipped, but I still prefer to be extra careful, so, although I don't make him wear a collar, I wrote an information about his address on his harness. I wouldn't let him go for a walk without it.
    I feel very sorry for this poodle, I hope his owner finds him soon.

claudine, Mar 24, 2014
  11. bellahpereira

That's great, Claudine! It seems micro chipping is quite common in Europe, sadly over here it isn't, but hopefully that will change soon :) I also feel sorry for that poodle, I wish I could have saved it, but we saw it too late... he was several blocks behind us and trying to cross a really busy street. I fear the worst :(

Trellum, Mar 25, 2014
  12. bellahpereira

wanderingwildman New Member

I admittedly never used to leave a collar on my dog. This left me in a bad situation the one time he did get lost. I had to go to the pound and plead with the people that he was my dog. The only way I was able to convince them that he was my dog was when I called his name with my back towards him, and he actually came for once:) So, training him to adapt to the collar is minor annoyance. It is still worth your time.

wanderingwildman, Mar 25, 2014
  13. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

There was nothing that you could do:( I'm sure that other drivers saw him, too. Also, most dogs are really intelligent and they know how to cross a street. Some time ago, I saw a dog who had waited for cars to pass and then crossed the street safely:)

claudine, Mar 25, 2014
  14. bellahpereira

Awww, how cute :) I have seen that too! Some dogs are really smart and always check before crossing, hehehe. They sometimes seem to be more careful than humans. I swear the other day a woman was crossing and she didn't even look at our direction. Dogs are smarter than some humans :D

Trellum, Apr 4, 2014
  15. bellahpereira

anadrotowski Member

The only time our dogs collars come off is bath time so we can actually get under the collar and scrub away that nastiness. Otherwise, their collars are on and ready to go for a walk or whatever we need to do with them. Our dogs mostly run free since we have such a large place for them to run around. They stay in quite well, but if an emergency happened, I want to be able to grab collars and go.

anadrotowski, Jul 11, 2015
  16. bellahpereira

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog's collar stays on him 95% of the time. It only came off when we give him a bath and brushing. He doesn't like it without his collar either and shows sign that he wants it on. I think it is safer for him to keep it on too since the collar gives me a little control to steer him away from things that he is not supposed to get in.

IcyBC, Jul 13, 2015
Ask a Question