Does your dog's collar stay on at all times?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bellahpereira, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My dog doesn't like to have things touching him, therefore a collar is out of the question. I can only get him to put it on when we're going for a walk, and that's only because he's too distracted to notice. As a safety concern, I'd prefer to keep his collar on at all times, but since he's a little prince, I cave to his desires. Do your dogs like/dislike their collars and does it affect your opinion on whether they should/are wearing it at all times?

bellahpereira, Nov 19, 2012
  2. bellahpereira

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ours stay on at all times. I would hate to have to take it off constantly, too. Regardless, it stays on for safety's sake. If he gets out, I want his tags to be available. And when we catch him, I want to have something to attach a leash to. I would feel uncomfortable with the idea of him getting loose and someone assuming he's a stray because he has no collar.

Jessi, Nov 19, 2012
  3. bellahpereira

haopee Well-Known Member

At first they really hate anything on them. But if you introduce it early on and don't give into their manipulative cuteness and adorable sad eyes, you'd eventually have them wearing it without a fuss.

Be strong and resist the temptation:D . Have him wear the collar. I am sure he'll eventually give into it. It would also help to find a nice quality collar. What kind are you using for him?

haopee, Nov 19, 2012
  4. bellahpereira

pigeon_small Active Member

The only time I might take it off is when he's in the house for long periods of time. Like when it rains or snows. Otherwise it's always on him. It isn't a big deal putting the collar back on anyway. If your dog doesn't like a collar then that's just tough on his part. Dogs need collars otherwise they could be mistaken for strays.

pigeon_small, Nov 19, 2012
  5. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer doesn't have a collar, he wears harness instead (again, than you for the term, Jessi:) ) and I always take it off of him when he is at home. I just think it wouldn't be comfortable for him to wear it all the time.

claudine, Nov 19, 2012
  6. bellahpereira

argon_0 Well-Known Member

If dogs run free.
    Mishka doesn't wear a collar at home as we live so isolated there are no problems.
    On outings I put the collar on to secured the lead to it and she has no problems wearing it.

argon_0, Nov 20, 2012
  7. bellahpereira

Melody Well-Known Member

For once, there is something that Misha has no problem with. My brother's family game me a collar when they gave me Misha. It was too funny because it was a cat collar and even at the tightest it was a still a little loose for her 2 lb. frame. While I may have screwed up other things in her development, I insisted on a collar and she adapted to it well. Though, I had to replace several ID tags in the first year because she figured out how to chew on them while wearing the collar. Now, she puts her neck out for me to put it on in the morning.

Like others, I consider it a safety issue. If she got loose, I would want someone to know that she belongs to me. Plus, if you've ever been in a situation where you must catch your dog, sometimes the collar is the only thing you can grab on to.

I do take it off at night time. Misha sleeps in a metal cage in my bedroom. I have a fear that her tags could get lodged between the bars and she might strangle. I keep the collar on a stand attached to a leash at night. So, if we ever have a need to get out, I can get her easily.

Melody, Nov 20, 2012
  8. bellahpereira

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs only have their collars off if they're getting bathed. Otherwise, it's for safety of not losing them, and being able to grab onto their collars if we need to hold them back real quick. My dogs actually love having their collars on and go crazy for them if we take it off (maybe it's because they associate having a collar off as bath time, and they don't like baths)

Nick87, Nov 21, 2012
  9. bellahpereira

Jessi Well-Known Member

Probably so! They know that bathtime is coming if that's the only time their collars are ever off.

I find that my dog actually looks rather naked without his own. I'm so used to seeing one on him that it looks funny without one being around his neck.

Jessi, Nov 21, 2012
  10. bellahpereira

I'm not sure what kind it is but it was purchased at pet smart. One of the people told me it's a pretty good one for little dogs. I'm trying to introduce it to him slowly - a couple of days a week after his walks, I just leave it on him. But I'm not sure how well it will stick. He spends his time coming up to me to cry and try to take it off :p

bellahpereira, Nov 22, 2012
  11. bellahpereira

Taking it off isn't much of a problem - putting it on is, lol. I feel uncomfortable with the idea too but my pup barely leaves the house unless for a walk. He sometimes squeezes through the fence into the neighbour's yards though :p He likes small spaces - which is where my concern originates.

12. bellahpereira

Yes, I would imagine that to be really uncomfortable, especially for a dog as small as Homer :p I might consider one for Rafa, it wouldn't look too good but it would certainly fix the issue that he has with his collar. Does Homer pull a lot when you walk him? Like, does he try to get ahead of you? And if so, do you think that with the harness, it's easier for him to not get hurt. Because Rafa likes to tug a lot when I'm walking him and I would imagine that having a collar around your neck while you're pulling would hurt :(

13. bellahpereira

It's good to hear that you were able to adapt her so well and it's quite amusing that she learned how to chew on the tags :p I keep Rafa's collar on his leash in case I need to leave the house quickly too, but getting it on him is a different issue :p We got Rafa's collar when we picked him up from the breeder but he's never liked it. I know I should have probably insisted, but he was so small and young that I thought he'd get adjusted to it later on. I guess the earlier, the better :p

14. bellahpereira

haopee Well-Known Member

Good luck. I forgot to consider that your dog was little. Most small dogs adjust better with harnesses. Have you heard of a brand called Puppia? Puppia harnesses are good. It seems to me that most pet bloggers also recommend it since it's a lot more comfortable compared to most generic collars.

Well, if he's not hurting himself or doing something to worry about, you could always ignore him until he settles down which is when you give him lots of love and treats.:D

haopee, Nov 23, 2012
  15. bellahpereira

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, Homer pulls a lot. Actually, he does it all the time:p . He likes to decide where are we going. I'm sure a collar would choke him:( . With harness, pulling is not a problem. He pulls with all his strength and it doesn't seem like it hurt him.

claudine, Nov 23, 2012
  16. bellahpereira

I imagined that he would. Homer and Rafa seem to have similar personalities, :p I think I'm going to try a harness next then because the leash is clearly not working. I'm glad it doesn't hurt Homer because I would imagine that a small dog wouldn't be able to endure too much pain, nor would we want them to. Thanks for the suggestion!

bellahpereira, Nov 26, 2012
  17. bellahpereira

Bloomsie Member

My dog loves his collar, including the sound that it makes. But we don't keep it on him all the time. When he's in the house, we hang the collar up along with the leash. We've trained him that wearing the collar means we're going for a ride or walk. Plus, we don't like the collar on him in the house because he does play with the jingle, whether it's daytime or night!

Bloomsie, Nov 27, 2012
  18. bellahpereira

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No. Collars are only for going out. Candy has got that figured out very early on. So whenever she sees me going to where her collar is hung on the wall, she will follow and wait to be collared, so to say. Another thing which I have noticed is that dogs do know when they are given new collars. They seem to be very proud to get new collars. Mine do anyway.

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
  19. bellahpereira

Yes, my pup is the same. We've taught him that if we go in his drawer (he has his own drawer near the door where we keep his leash and all accessories for when he goes out) it's for his leash and therefore, he's leaving the house. I'm not sure how mine would react to a new collar though, as we haven't gotten him a new one yet. But I think I might this holiday season and I hope that he notices :) You should consider yourself lucky though because my dog doesn't wait to be collared, he runs up to me and starts to bark and jump up as if asking for me to pick him up. It's adorable but annoying after a few years, :p

bellahpereira, Dec 1, 2012
  20. bellahpereira

Yes my dog is trained that same way. Although I do consider it to be a safety concern for him not to be wearing a collar, I do think that I it's good to have a 'signal' or 'sign' for when you're going to be leaving together. I think it helps them understand when they are and are not allowed to go with you. It's nice :) My dog doesn't have a bell on his collar, but I'm sure that if he did, he would also play with it constantly - and so, although I don't exactly understand how annoying that is, I can only imagine :p

bellahpereira, Dec 1, 2012
Ask a Question