Does your dog tell you if they need something?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013.

1. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, exactly! I start talking too much when I feel happy too;)
    Homer barks especially loud when he's going for a walk. Fortunately, it doesn't annoy our neighbors. They love him too:)

claudine, Apr 2, 2015
  2. DappleGrey

Trellum Well-Known Member

Aw, it's great a lot people over there love Homer! He must be such a charming little boy, because being loved by so many people can't be easy :) I think that is quite an accomplishment on its own, if you ask me.

Trellum, Apr 3, 2015
  3. DappleGrey

Thank you:) But, to be honest, I'm not sure if Homer is so special;) I noticed that most people have a soft spot for Yorkshire Terriers. Maybe it's because they're so cute and tiny. Whenever we go for a walk, we always meet someone who wants to pet Homer;)

claudine, Apr 3, 2015
  4. DappleGrey

I have a soft spot for them too!!!!! I love how small and cute they look! I've always wanted one, but I'm a bit afraid I might have a hard time potty training it. Did your parents have any trouble potty training Homer?

Trellum, Apr 3, 2015
  5. DappleGrey

Not at all. He learned it very quickly. We rewarded him everytime he did his business outside:p Most Yorkies are very intelligent and greedy. They'll listen to you if you give them something delicious;)

claudine, Apr 4, 2015
  6. DappleGrey

joycemcgregor Active Member

Sadie will paw at me when she wants something. Then it is up to me to figure out whatever it is by trial and error. I will ask her if she wants to go out, if she is hungry, if she is thristy, ect and she will just sit and stare at me until I finally get it right! She is so funny when she does this. She has this look in her eyes like she is saying " I have said it as plain as I can! What is wrong with you??" When I finally get it right she dances around and wuffs at me.

joycemcgregor, Apr 4, 2015
  7. DappleGrey

Nice!!!! That is good to know! I did the same thing with my girl, she learn from day one that peeing and pooing in the room was a big no no, but took a bit longer to teach her the rest of the house wasn't a big no no, lol. That's the part of owning a puppy I dislike most, the potty training. But it's great to know yorkies are easy to potty train.

Trellum, Apr 5, 2015
  8. DappleGrey

Potty training can be difficult, but fortunately most dogs learn it really quickly. I remember Homer was scared of doing his business outside, but one or two yummy treats convinced him that it's okay to do it there;)

claudine, Apr 8, 2015
  9. DappleGrey

Awesome! I'll try to reinforce it even more with treats next time I get a puppy, my frida was a gift I wasn't ready for! I only pet her and said nice things to her when she did her business where she should, lol. I should have gotten treats too.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
  10. DappleGrey

Frida sounds like a very intelligent dog:) Homer would totally ignore me if I only pet him and said nice things. He always wants treats;)
    Do you plan to get a puppy anytime soon?:)

claudine, Apr 9, 2015
  11. DappleGrey

Yeah, she actually is very smart, I knew it since the first day. She seems to be so aware of everything and everyone, specially my feelings. She seems to understand I am sad or upset, because she tries to make me feel better her own way :O I don't think so :( I think once Frida dies she will be the last puppy, but who knows, maybe I change of mind! What about you?

Trellum, Apr 10, 2015
  12. DappleGrey

Frida is a real sweetheart!:) Homer sometimes tries to cheer me up too.

As for getting a new dog, I honestly don't know. I'm not allowed to keep pets in my new apartment:(

claudine, Apr 10, 2015
  13. DappleGrey

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, Capone will let me know when he wants to go outside to do his business by running to the back door and stays there. He also nudges me when it is time to eat, or stare at his empty water bowl. He is quite expressive :)

IcyBC, Aug 13, 2015
  14. DappleGrey

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Mine always tell me things. Yesterday one of them had gas and for the life of me I could not find out who was responsible. I tried reading everybody's expression but this is one time I came up empty.

Anyway since I have been home I have been spoken to several times and I have absolutely no messes in the house.....well one, but just a drizzle of urine dropped out as one was of nearing the door.

Winterybella, Aug 13, 2015
Ask a Question