Does your dog tell you if they need something?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013.

1. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

I have two dogs. Peanut is very good with telling me if she's thirsty or if she has to go to the bathroom. Usually, she'll come up to me and stomp her feet, wag her tail. And if I ask her "What?" she'll dart off in the direction of the kitchen. If I don't follow her, she'll come back and whine. Sometimes, if we are busy doing work and not paying attention, she'll pee on the floor right in front of us! We can't get too upset with her, because of course, she tried to warn us. I just think it's magnificent, the bond that can grow between a human and a dog over years.

Does your dog do this?

DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013
  2. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh yes, my Homer is very good at it. When he wants something, everybody knows about it. Sometimes he just stares at me, but usually he barks. He can bark endlessly, he is very stubborn. He is also really intelligent, he noticed a long time ago that I can't say "no" to him:p

claudine, Mar 22, 2013
  3. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

Awww! That's so cute! He sounds like an extremely intelligent dog. Don't you hate it when dogs are just so stubborn? I feel like if our dogs could talk, they'd talk our heads off. My dog is the same way with the "no' thing. She realized that if she sits in front of my while I eat, no matter how many times I say no, I'll eventually give her something to her pitiful looking face.

DappleGrey, Mar 22, 2013
  4. DappleGrey

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, mine do. The main thing that they want to tell me about is when they are ready to eat. The other is when they are ready to go out. It's really odd that dogs can tell the time so precisely without looking at the clock.

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2013
  5. DappleGrey

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow whines when she needs to do her number 1 or 2. If she wants to walk she'll stand by the front door. If she wants her tummy scratched she lays down at your feet and lays on her back. Sometimes I feel like her nanny.

trishgl, Mar 23, 2013
  6. DappleGrey

I simply can't express how glad I'm that dogs don't talk;) . I know that a conversation with my Homer wouldn't be interesting at all because he would just repeat "give me food!" over and over:p . I love him but I can't feed him all the time, overweight dogs aren't healthy.

claudine, Mar 23, 2013
  7. DappleGrey

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, mostly of our dogs ever since knew how to tell us they are hungry, thirsty, they need to do their things and a stranger is standing at the gate.

zararina, Apr 1, 2013
  8. DappleGrey

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

Yes pups does-in so many ways that I cannot describe. There are times when he comes to wake me up in the middle of the night because he wants me to play with him. That's ridiculous! who plays in the middle of the night?? :rolleyes:

schizophreniatype, Apr 16, 2013
  9. DappleGrey

Skyspiritflfl Member

Yep, Pepper tells us everything from fix my blanket on the loveseat to I need t go out now. At times, we too have not been fast enough and like others don't feel it appropriate to scold her. She is amazing and patient thought that's for sure and she tries her best to tell us in her own way whatever it is she is looking for or wants at any given time. She has even told us to turn the t.v. on or off as well as the lights -she's a smart one.

Skyspiritflfl, Sep 6, 2014
  10. DappleGrey

paola New Member

Yes, my dog always expresses his feeleings and needs by moving his head , also by wagging his tail or simply stomping his feet. It is really awesome to see how dogs use their body langage to communicate and also how we understand them. Most of the times you do not need so much to understand your dog is just the langage of heart. My dog also understand not only my commands but also if I need something, he is really special.

paola, Oct 21, 2014
  11. DappleGrey

Hello Paola!:)
    I couldn't agree more. Dogs are easy to understand. I always know what my little Homer wants. A few minutes ago, he started barking at the door, so I opened them for him. Now, he's digging holes in our garden;)

claudine, Mar 6, 2015
  12. DappleGrey

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I was just typing somewhere about the behaviour of my dogs. The two small dogs talk to me a lot. It's mostly to go pee and poop. Recently though, one is behaving a little strangely and speaking a language I don't always understand.

Winterybella, Mar 9, 2015
  13. DappleGrey

digitalsatori Member

Bear will 'speak' to us whenever he needs something, kind of like Chewbacca. There are groans and snorts and whines that he'll do - each one having a different meaning for needing to go out, being thirsty, or needing pets. And he's tenacious. Oh, is he tenacious. He won't let you ignore him; and if you try, he will thump you with his gigantic paws. Tell him no, and he'll pout - full-on pouting and cold-shouldering until you give him what he wants.

digitalsatori, Mar 22, 2015
  14. DappleGrey

Trellum Well-Known Member

My girl isn't so good to tell me things, she isn't very vocal about things.... actually she only barks when she hears me getting home, or when she sees me eat something and she wants some too. She barks a little to wake me up in the morning to eat, after that she does what she needs to do in the yard, hehehe. But she could be feeling like she really wants to pee and do nothing!!!!

Trellum, Mar 23, 2015
  15. DappleGrey

It's not such a bad thing;) Sometimes I wish Homer wasn't so good at communicating. He always knows how to tell me what he wants. And I have to listen to him;)

claudine, Mar 23, 2015
  16. DappleGrey

Your Homer is such a character :O I heard somewhere that terriers tend to be very vocal about things, I'm guessing yorkies are specially vocal about their needs :O

Trellum, Mar 24, 2015
  17. DappleGrey

They definitely are;) Homer is quiet only when he's asleep. He can bark non stop for hours, especially if he's excited about something. Sometimes, he barks without any reason at all:p

claudine, Mar 24, 2015
  18. DappleGrey

Lol, really? Does he start barking all of a sudden? Our old dog used to do that, but when he did he was looking at something, we didn't really see! We are a bit superstitious, so we really thought he was barking at a ghost, lol. Actually that dog did some weird stuff, there was an old bookshelf near a corner, we caught him peeking thru the window several times, looking straight to that corner. He even stood up on his back legs for a while in order to keep seeing that specific space.

Trellum, Mar 25, 2015
  19. DappleGrey

This is kind of creepy;) I wonder what your dog saw. I hope it wasn't a ghost!
    Homer barks at shrubs, birds, furniture, toys and other things like those. Also, he always barks when he's in a good mood;)

claudine, Mar 25, 2015
  20. DappleGrey

Yeah, it is creepy. I've always felt very uncomfortable in that room, even before that incident. So who knows, maybe there is something trapped there, my mom has heard noises coming from there too. Hehehehe, so your homer is super vocal about his happiness too? That is so funny!!!! Just barking for the sake of barking, it's like when I start talking too much when I feel happy.

Trellum, Apr 2, 2015
Ask a Question