Does your Dog Scratch Carpet?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by argon_0, Jul 26, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is always scratching the carpet I suppose to get comfortable to lay on. Our carpets aren't in the best condition and we use rugs everywhere to stop her digging holes in it. She also scratches the vinyl in the kitchen.
    Anyone knows why she would do this and does your pooch scratch up your carpets?:confused:

argon_0, Jul 26, 2012
  2. argon_0

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I actually wonder the same thing! Kotton doesn't do it, but the other two do...Kash was so bad at one point I ended up with a 3x3 area in my laundry room that had no tile left :eek:

pugskjj, Jul 26, 2012
  3. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

Peanuts scratches anything from beds, pillows, mats and even wood. For one, it helps dulling their nails. Then there's the comfort factor. Before she would lie on something, she'll scratch it and scratch it and scratch it more, twirl a little and settle down.

haopee, Jul 28, 2012
  4. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Well I just googled and it looks like we need to use that water pistol. I'm not sure if I could do that.I may just stick to Mishka Stop that Now !
    and
    Clip your dog's nails. Your dog may be trying to file them down.

I found this pic Cute or What?
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Jul 28, 2012
  5. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

The picture is adorable!:D
    My Homer scratches carpets too, he always does it before lying down. He also scratches his bed, blankets, chairs and everything that is soft. When he is outside, he scratches grass. I worry about my furniture, but I wouldn't use a water pistol. Is there any other solution?

claudine, Jul 16, 2013
  6. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

That photo is so cute! :)
    I had read before that dog scratches something because the dog is bored. Or maybe the dog has lots of energy to consume. :p

zararina, Jul 16, 2013
  7. argon_0

trishgl Well-Known Member

According to my Vet this behavior can indicate a number of issues. Below is a short rundown so you can try to figure out why your dog does what he does and remedy it.

1. Discomfort due to the temperature-He may be feeling cold or warm. Dogs often dig around in the dirt when trying to get more comfortable in their environment.

2. Boredom-It could be a way to amuse himself or release excess energy.

3. Separation anxiety-According to experts this behavior can develop due to the dog being anxious when a member of the family leaves the house for work etc or has moved to another house.

trishgl, Dec 13, 2013
  8. argon_0

Thank you for sharing this, Trishgl, it's interesting. I'm pretty sure Homer scratches carpets because he is bored. I noticed he usually does that when I'm too busy to play with him, because I'm talking over the phone or I'm doing some cleaning. I don't think it's separation anxiety, we rarely leave him alone.
    As for discomfort due to temperature, when he is feeling warm, he usually goes to the bathroom and lies there.

claudine, Dec 16, 2013
  9. argon_0

Trellum Well-Known Member

Most dogs do that out of boredom (in my experience), my schnauzer does that a lot, but thankfull my pug has stopped. Too bad dogs can't talk, I often tell my mom I bet they'd feel like telling us a lot stuff! Specially when they feel sick or bored.

Trellum, Dec 20, 2013
  10. argon_0

To be honest, I'm happy they can't talk! I'm sure it would be a nightmare if Homer started talking, haha. He would repeat "I want food" all the time. Or "stay away from my couch/blanket/pillow/toys" or "I want to go for a walk"!
    I'm curious how would he explain his passion for scratching carpets though:p

claudine, Dec 20, 2013
Ask a Question