Does your dog love digging too?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Sep 21, 2012.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer loves digging holes. Every evening when I'm walking through the garden, I always notice some new holes:p . He is very small but he already managed to destroy quite a big part of the lawn. He especially loves digging near places when I have my new plants, but he also digs in random places. Is it possible that he smells voles which are underground?:eek: How about your dogs? Do they dig? Have you tried to stop them and succeed?

claudine, Sep 21, 2012
  2. claudine

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our terrier did. Unfortunately, it was the couch pads she kept trying to dig up. She would 'faux dig" the pads for a while then pull them up and bury dog bones into the couch. Weirdo.

OhioTom76, Sep 21, 2012
  3. claudine

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on digging holes, I think that has to be Buddy's favorite hobby LOL. But seriously during the summer we also caught our other dog Oso also digging a hole in our back yard. We started to wonder if maybe digging a hole to the ground underneath was their way of cooling off. Well, for Oso it was, I think Buddy digs holes all year round, so its his hobby.

pafjlh, Sep 21, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  4. claudine

tajnz Well-Known Member

I never thought much about it, but I've never owned a dog that dug holes in the garden. Which is quite strange as it's typical dog behaviour! One (Honey) loved to dig at the beach though, although she never dug holes in our garden. Which is probably a good thing ha ha. ;)

tajnz, Sep 22, 2012
  5. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep!

He especially loves digging at the fence. He likes getting out. It's not that he doesn't like the yard or that he goes anywhere particular if he gets out. He just likes the challenge and will dig at the corners where he can see things on the other side. He wants to smell if the grass is greener on the other side.

Jessi, Sep 22, 2012
  6. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is not a hole digger at all. The only holes she digs is for bones and as we live on a large property you never know where she hides them. It must be a pain to have a hole digger in a small back garden especially if you like gardening. Do any owners of hole diggers have gardens?

argon_0, Sep 22, 2012
  7. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer tries to dig up the sofa too! And the armchair. And the carpet:p . He puts all of his energy into digging, like it was the most important thing in the world do dig very fast. It looks hilarious:p
    argon_0, I have a garden and I enjoy gardening. Homer is a little pest, but I love him despite of it:D .

claudine, Sep 23, 2012
  8. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Ahh! To love your dog is so important. I guess that's why a lot of dogs are abandoned at shelters. People are not patient enough to put up with those annoying habits. Mishka does have some habits that annoy us but we tolerate it and let her be herself. It must be hard for you with new plantings. Do you have a vegetable patch as well? Mishka has been known to bury bones in the vegetable patch. No real problem just annoying.

argon_0, Sep 24, 2012
Ask a Question