Does your dog love baths?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, May 31, 2012.

1. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think it should be more like fully-webbed or partially-webbed. This is a fully-webbed paw:
    [​IMG]

Many dogs do not have that piece of skin connecting one toe to another. Have a look and see if your dog has paws like this one.

Victor Leigh, Jun 9, 2012
  2. haopee

King Browny Well-Known Member

I read this on another forum and since it's about dogs I thought it'll benefit dog owners.

How to de-skunk a dog!

King Browny, Jun 24, 2012
  3. haopee

That's interesting. I never knew that tomatoes had such properties. Now maybe I should try that when bathing my dogs. It would be a waste of fresh tomatoes, though. Maybe I will see about getting some of those over-ripe ones which they used to throw away at the wholesale market.

Victor Leigh, Jun 24, 2012
  4. haopee

King Browny Well-Known Member

^Now, that’s good for the pocket. I think that’s better being natural than what I used to have in mind which is the cheap tomato sauce in a pack. I was even considering that cheap tomato ketchup in a pack. Haha! I wonder if dogs would love to have it in their skin and eat it, too, especially tomato sauce because that smells like spaghetti.

King Browny, Jul 24, 2012
  5. haopee

Tomatoes smell like spaghetti? I always thought that spaghetti smell like tomatoes. I doubt if the dogs would like to eat it, though. Tomatoes are usually sour. So far, I have not seen any of my dogs like eating sour things.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
  6. haopee

summerRain Well-Known Member

My dog loves to take a bath.. Actually, if I didn't bathe him for 4 days, he will start barking at me and he is always on bad mood..

summerRain, Jul 25, 2012
  7. haopee

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I have on dog, Kash, who will actually jump in the shower with me! As soon as I turn on the shower I have to hurry to get a good spot :confused:
    She loves any water though. My landlord put in a bird bath next to a picnic table...I think you can guess that result :p

Koko thinks she is so sweet she will melt if water touches her and OMG no one cleans Princess Kotton except Princess Kotton!

pugskjj, Jul 26, 2012
  8. haopee

That's interesting. So how does Princess Kotton do that? Does she really take a bath all by herself?

Victor Leigh, Jul 26, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  9. haopee

Well her idea of taking a bath involves licking the parts she can reach and ignoring the fact that her white is becoming dingy. She is such a priss but absolutely hates getting wet in any way! Kash looks forward to it because then she gets blow dried...

pugskjj, Jul 26, 2012
  10. haopee

Have you tried warm water? Sometimes it's not the wetness that puts a dog off taking a bath but rather the coldness. Dogs are kind of like little kids in many ways.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  11. haopee

Oh no it's the wetness...we have tried water of every temperature. She was NOT happy when I made her learn to swim last summer...she wouldn't come near me for the rest of the day!

pugskjj, Jul 27, 2012
  12. haopee

Have you tried bribing her with a big, soft, fluffy towel after the bath? Candy likes water but doesn't like baths. So I have to lay out newspapers all over the floor so that she knows there's plenty of stuff for her to roll in after the bath.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  13. haopee

We have tried everything, she still gets her bath, and she will tolerate it without too much of a wiggle. What I ended up doing when it is her bath time is to give her a shower. I put on my bathing suit, set the water to the right temperature, pick her up (important to do before the shower comes on LOL), turn the shower on and climb in and bathe her while she is in my arms. She is afraid of heights (thanks to an idiot EX-friend that dropped her...long story) so she doesn't wiggle at all and when she is done she ignores me for the rest of the day...sometimes two.

pugskjj, Jul 27, 2012
  14. haopee

I am not surprised. Like you said, she doesn't like to get wet and she doesn't like height. And you did both at the same time to her. Does she really totally ignore you? Like not even bothering to acknowledge your presence when you feed her?

Victor Leigh, Jul 28, 2012
  15. haopee

Well she doesn't have set feeding times, the girls always have a bowl of food available to them so there is no opportunity to "force" her to acknowledge me. But yes, she can completely ignore me for an entire day...she gives the silent treatment better than any person I know!

pugskjj, Jul 28, 2012
  16. haopee

Pocs Well-Known Member

This is the only problem I have with the boys and always have. Neither of them like having a bath. They will jump out at the first opportunity, run and hide under the beds. In the bath tub, a basin, shower, hose inside or out, it doesn't matter. I have to sneak when I bathe them, if one of them sees the other heading towards the bath, the other hides. Smart little boogers! Even the groomers have trouble. They have never had a scary experience while bathing, and have been bathed regularly since they were puppies. You would think they would have grown out of it by now, not the case. Bath time is always a chore at my house.

Pocs, Jul 31, 2012
  17. haopee

That's the part which intrigues me. Why do dogs not like taking baths? I know Candy loves water. She can sit in a tub of water the whole day long but bathing is still something which she only tolerates. Any ideas?

Victor Leigh, Jul 31, 2012
  18. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but my dog hates bath with all of his little heart. He prefers to be dirty. After washing, he instantly runs outside and rolls in the grass. Maybe he doesn't like the smell of the shampoo? But it's a special shampoo for dogs, so it's strange.

claudine, Aug 16, 2012
  19. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Just because it's special for dogs doesn't mean he's going to like it, though. And it may make his skin feel funny, which could be the reason he immediately goes and rolls in something that would feel somewhat "scratchy" for him.

Jessi, Aug 16, 2012
Ask a Question