Does your dog get along with other dogs?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by kinser, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

Trellum - no, at first, Homer seemed interested in that female Yorkie. He was very friendly towards her. Unfortunately, after some time, he started ignoring her:p
    Trishgl - Homer is walked daily and we play with him often, so he gets plenty of exercise. But I guess consulting a dog trainer is a good idea! I should do this. Homer has never wandered off accidentally, but you never know what will happen. But there is one thing that really worries me, he is 7 years old. Maybe it's too late to change his habits?:(

claudine, Feb 2, 2014
  2. kinser

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone was exposed to different sizes of dogs, and he is very playful with them. He isn't showing any aggressive signs and seems to get along with small and big dogs if they were at our house. When we take him to the vet though, he isn't happy when another dog came close to us. I think it is just his protective instinct.

IcyBC, Nov 12, 2015
  3. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

Capone sounds really sweet:)
    Does he show any aggressive signs when small dogs bark at him? I noticed that most big dogs ignore Homer completely, even if he barks like crazy at them;)

claudine, Nov 12, 2015
  4. kinser

KimmyMarkks Active Member

My dogs got a long very well. However, the older one established dominance from the beginning. My dogs would get a long with puppies find, however they didn't do so well with older dogs they they were unfamiliar with. I had two females and they seemed to do a little better around male dogs compared to other females dogs.

KimmyMarkks, Jan 3, 2016
  5. kinser

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This socializing is our big problem. We have 3 dogs right now. The oldest is Tisoy at 8 years who is used to seeing other people and other dogs. Our 2 younger dogs both 3 years old do not know socializing. At the first sign of another dog, they would bark incessantly. When they were a year old, we used to bring them to the mall but they cannot be controlled with their barking so we do not bring them along anymore.

Corzhens, Jan 29, 2016
Ask a Question