Does your dog get along with other dogs?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by kinser, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I made a big mistake by not socializing my dogs with other puppies when they were young, and they act very aggressively toward other dogs as adults. I'm constantly afraid that they will hurt or kill a small dog if given the chance. Obviously, dog parks are out, and I can't even take them to the petfood store when I go because I know it would be a disaster. I'm nervous that they'll be approached by another dog off-leash when I walk them (mine are ALWAYS leashed when off my property, but other people are as diligent) - I know they would not be kind. Is it too late, or is there anything I can do to make my dogs see that all others aren't "the enemy?"

kinser, Apr 27, 2012
  2. kinser

stefano13 Member

They need to socialize.Is useless to take them to the park full of dogs.The result is that you'll be plenty of time to keep dogs because they don't beat others.
    You need him to do exercises to socialize, then contact a board of canine heart.

stefano13, Apr 28, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog can socialize to other dogs as long as it lives with them in the same compound. If it is a dog outside and if it is a male dog (our recent dog is male), he will definitely bark a lot and gets angry. :p

zararina, Apr 29, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with Candy.

She spent the first year of her life with me as the only dog in the house. Then when I started having other dogs, I had to keep them in another house. Bangkeaws are notoriously jealous and they don't have to think twice about going at other dogs. Right at the throat.

So I had to take it easy. I started by taking Candy to visit the other dogs in the other house. When she's on strange territory, she's not that aggressive. Then I took one home to her house for a short visit. It took a lot of visits before she accepted visitors.

The most hilarious thing happened when I took Benjamin to visit Candy. Benjamin was an old dog. He just walked into the house and ignored Candy's frenzied barking. Candy was standing across the doorway. Benjamin was a small dog. He just walked nonchalantly under her belly and into the house. Then he just took a nap.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. kinser

Smartee Member

I don't know! I'm in the same predicament are you are. My dogs see all other dogs as the enemy. They aren't quite as aggressive as your are. I can take them to pet smart, but dog parks are out for us as well. I would LOVE to be able to take my pups to a dog park. A good friend of mine does it and her dog has a lot of fun. Anyway, Maybe you could try a dog class. Maybe if you have a friend with a dog you can start by walking them together, and then maybe letting them be together while leashed in the same yard. Hopefully that will progress into a doggie friendship and they will over come it. Good luck!

Smartee, Apr 30, 2012
  6. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope, he doesn't. He's not insanely aggressive either, but he makes it very obvious that he's not okay with them being there.

On the flip side, he LOVES cats. He likes to snuggle with them, play around, and socialize with the kitties, if they'll allow it, but not with other dogs at all.

Jessi, May 1, 2012
  7. kinser

Your dog loves cats? Don't let the other dogs know or they will report him and have him removed from the Association of Normal Dogs. The association states clearly that a Normal Dog does not like cats.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  8. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Poor old Mishka lives miles from any other dogs. She can handle other dogs after a quick sort out when she comes across them. She has though a boyfriend ,Jack way down the road which is another collie cross but he's on holidays but is due back this Saturday.:)

argon_0, May 2, 2012
  9. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, he does! I should find some pictures at some point. He treats the one like his baby and is very protective of her, even after a couple years now. They get along great. You can imagine his disappointment when he's outside and a stray comes up, but doesn't want to cuddle. :(

Jessi, May 3, 2012
  10. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We have the same problem with our dog. We got him when he was already a year old and he shows aggression towards other dogs. He has been around some other dogs and has been fine, but around most other dogs and all strange dogs he is aggressive. We've done some work with a trainer who claims he's not a lost cause so I'll let you know the end result.

MakingCents, May 4, 2012
  11. kinser

gracielou New Member

We have a Labrador retriever named Lucas and a Pomanese named Chixi at home. At first I was hesitant either they can get along or not, I will not allow Chixi to go outside our front yard whenever Lucas is detached to his leash. One day, my husband let them play and told me not to worry because Lucas is harmless and just wants to play. It’s one of Labrador retriever’s nice characters. Yeah they get along just fine and they look happy playing despite their height and size differences. DSC_0000244.jpg

gracielou, May 12, 2012
  12. kinser

That's one thing I have noticed, too. Dogs don't seem to care about size at all.

I can remember Benjamin, my mutt, putting Dark Lady, my Doberman, in her place although Benjamin can easily walk past under Dark Lady's body because of the big disparity in their sizes. Benjamin can do that because he is the senior dog and Dark Lady is the new girl.

Victor Leigh, May 12, 2012
  13. kinser

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I think my little girl, a Samoyed named Milla, gets along pretty well with the other dogs she's met so far. Then again, she's both a Samoyed AND a puppy...and from what I've been reading, you can't really get any friendlier than that. Once she has all of her vaccines, I'm planning on fully socializing her, though, on her veterinary's recommendation.

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
  14. kinser

firelily99 Well-Known Member

My dog is very social, all my dogs have been very social. I do a lot of house sitting and my dog is my best advertisement for my services because he so social.

firelily99, Dec 13, 2013
  15. kinser

Trellum Well-Known Member

It really depends on the dog's breed. But in general dogs need to be socialized when they're still quite young, if you fail to do that, then you might need the help of a professional dog trainer. I'd not risk it doing all this on your own, because it sounds very dangerous for everyone, even you! So be careful and try to get some help from a professional who specialices on this kind of issues.

Trellum, Dec 20, 2013
  16. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer hates other dogs, especially if they're bigger than him. He doesn't want to play with them, he doesn't want to walk with them, sometimes I think he is a sociopath:confused:
    Or maybe he just thinks he is a human and he prefers to spend time with other humans:p

claudine, Dec 25, 2013
  17. kinser

That little homer is quite a character, isn't he? :) I think is perfectly normal your homer is like that, some dogs don't really like to be with other dogs. Specially if they weren't properly socialized as puppies. Sadly this is really hard to fix later in life :( But as long as you keep your homer away from other dogs this shouldn't concern you at all :) We had a male dog that was only kind to female dogs ;) Is your homer like that too?

Trellum, Dec 26, 2013
  18. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately he often barks at females too. I'm afraid he wasn't properly socialized as a puppy. He is the only one dog in our family. He has always been meeting some dogs in a park near our home, but when he was young, I was too scared to let him play with them, because most of them were much, much bigger than him:(

claudine, Dec 26, 2013
  19. kinser

Oh! That sounds like a very special case... but what about that female yorkie you told me about? You know, the one homer didn't want to mate with? Did he behave like that with her as well?

Trellum, Dec 27, 2013
  20. kinser

trishgl Well-Known Member

According to some dog behavior experts you need to balance your dog's lifestyle first before you try to socialize them at this late stage. They need to be walked daily so that their extra energy is drained and does not turn to nervous energy. I know my chow misbehaves more if she is not exercised regularly. You also have to try and expose them to people in stages. Maybe you should consult a dog trainer during that time. This really needs to be addressed as we never really know when our dog might wander off accidentally. A couple of months ago I left my front door open as I heard fire trucks and our neighbor's house caught on fire. I did not notice my dog was already sitting at my feet on the side of the road till one of my other neighbors pointed it out.

trishgl, Jan 28, 2014
Ask a Question