Does your dog ever run out the house or gate?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011.

1. PuppyChow

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

Okay so Oscar, my dog, left out of the gate yesterday once. I called his name a few times until i realized that he was really gone this time. I decided to get into my car and drive around the neighborhood. I would usually find him messing around by the gate of another dog. This time he wasnt. I drove for about 3 minutes and spotted him following a girl who was walking from McDonalds with McDonalds in her hands. Oscar is so greedy!

PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011
    classy_ally likes this.
  2. PuppyChow

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes. Kulit run out of the gate once when it was left opened by someone. Our house was located near a road and so he was like running like crazy in the road where there are vehicles. Good thing that those drivers could really see him crossing the street and avoid to hit him. I was nervous that time and good thing he was not hurt at all.

zararina, Dec 3, 2011
  3. PuppyChow

Oh my goodness, I know how scary that can be. Our side door isnt inside of our gate so
    those 3 steps to get back there is a lot because you never know if he gonna se something
    he likes and take off running. He ran in the street once and almost got hit. I was yelling
    at the driver even though it was my dogs fault.

PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011
  4. PuppyChow

summerRain Well-Known Member

It also happened to my Chao. He went out of the house and ran because he is chasing a cat! I ran after him too, and caught him! I really got worried that other people might steal my dog, especially that he is always sweet to other people.

summerRain, Dec 3, 2011
  5. PuppyChow

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

He was wanting to McDonalds... do you blame him! LOL!!!! My dog has only did that one time, and once I told him he was a bad boy, and I pointed at him... he has never did that again... cross my fingers! LOL

wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
  6. PuppyChow

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I remember the one time that Candy, my Bangkeaw, sneaked out one night and came back with a belly full of puppies. I had tried mating her with a pure-bred Bangkeaw but she had her eyes on a half-breed Lab in the neighborhood.

Victor Leigh, Dec 4, 2011
  7. PuppyChow

I know I can't blame him for wanting McDonalds! My dog is a boy of course so I don't know who he could
    have gone off and gotten pregnant. Victor, did you keep the pups?

PuppyChow, Dec 7, 2011
  8. PuppyChow

No, I didn't. Mainly because there was a long waiting list of friends who wanted a Bangkeaw, even a half-Bangkeaw. btw Bangkeaws are not the easiest to train. They still have a lot of the wild side in them. Plus they instinctively go for the throat when they fight, even as pups.

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  9. PuppyChow

Oh my gosh. I didn't know that. I really don't like vicious dogs. I love the sweet and adorable kind.
    The ones who of course come with their own personality and don't need to be trained.

PuppyChow, Dec 7, 2011
  10. PuppyChow

Actually Bangkeaws make great pets. It's just that they are very possessive. They don't like to share their masters with other dogs. Not even other Bangkeaws. However, they can accept their masters' family members. With some conditions. I remember that my father who feeds Candy, my Bangkeaw, everyday, was never allowed by Candy to enter my bedroom or even sit on my dining table chair. She doesn't do anything very threatening.

If my father gets near my bedroom door, Candy will just stand in front of the door to block his entry. If he wants to sit on my chair, she will put her paw on it first. Of course, nobody argues with a Bangkeaw. It is not uncommon for Bangkeaws to bite through their chains or tear a hole in a chain-link fence.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  11. PuppyChow

Oh well that's good. I am going to do some research on them. They sound very interesting. I'm not sure if i like the possessive kind. I just like the playful kind. I'm pretty sure you have fun with them though.

PuppyChow, Dec 13, 2011
  12. PuppyChow

For playful dogs, you can try the Poodle. It's rated as one of the smartest dog breeds. Of course, the Border Collie is the Top Smart Dog but Poodles are just a couple of rungs below. One thing about Poodles is that they are very agile. Almost as agile as a cat.

Victor Leigh, Dec 14, 2011
  13. PuppyChow

summerRain Well-Known Member

Oh wow! your dog is really smart! And I must say he's a very obedient dog! I wish my Chao is as obedient as yours. I am a bit worried about my dog because he is too friendly to other people. He always stroll out and I don't like to tie him up 'cause I treat him like a friend.

summerRain, Dec 15, 2011
  14. PuppyChow

King Browny Well-Known Member

Except for Shakira, I never worry about the other dogs running outside the gate because they’re predictable as to where they are going. Usually they just hang around the neighborhood. It’s a safe and quiet neighborhood anyway far from the highways. And the neighbors are familiar with our dogs that they don’t bother with them. While Shakira is my only girl so I’m kind of strict with her that’s why when she sees the opportunity, she would run outside the gate. But like the rest, she never go far. Usually, she would just join the rest of the gang in their game.

King Browny, Dec 17, 2011
  15. PuppyChow

Sounds like your dogs are street smart.

I used to have a Poodle mixed breed that was really street-savvy. Benjamin was already an old dog when I accepted him from his owner who had to move away. He knew the streets in the area very well. One thing he liked was to follow me when I rode my motorcycle to my favorite eating stall. Once I tried to fool him by riding the long way round while Benjamin trotted off in the other direction. When I arrived at the food stall, Benjamin was already there waiting for me.

Looked like I was the one being fooled.

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
    King Browny likes this.
  16. PuppyChow

King Browny Well-Known Member

Haha! Surprisingly, dogs can really outsmart us. They have more brain than to just follow directions. Is that part of their naughtiness or good humor? Did you train Benjamin to stop following your trail or he’s still at your tail whenever you leave your place?

King Browny, Dec 19, 2011
  17. PuppyChow

It's like they said, 'don't try to teach an old dog new tricks'. What they forgot to add was that old dogs probably knew more tricks that you could have thought of. What normally happened was that I would take Benjamin for a morning run. We would go in my motorbike with a side-car. Dark Lady, my Dobermann, would go along, of course.

However after the morning exercise, only Dark Lady would get back into the side-car. Benjamin prefered to go home on his own. I let him do that because he knew how to cross the street and he knew the way home very well. So he would be sniffing around in the neighborhood until he was ready to come home. When he reached home, he would give a bark to announce his arrival. Then I would put him on a leash.

However, there were times, when Benjamin would dilly-dally until nightfall. That's when I had to find some way to fool him if I didn't want him to follow me to the food stall.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  18. PuppyChow

Nick87 Well-Known Member

You've always got to watch your dogs for running out the gate and doors, keep them closed as much as you can. Train your dogs also to not run out, and if you need to you could always get one of those invisible fence things.

Nick87, Dec 19, 2011
  19. PuppyChow

MakingCents Well-Known Member

The dog I had as a child would run ALL the time. We had to watch her so carefully because she would jsut take off. We ended up leaving her leash attached to her collar all the time because when we would go to answer the door we could just step on the leash and she couldn't run.

MakingCents, Dec 20, 2011
  20. PuppyChow

Usually dogs which are confined are like that. The solution is to take them for a long walk or run to burn off their extra energy. Then they are not so likely to run out as soon as the door is opened.

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
Ask a Question