Does you dog have a pet door?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

Pet doors are a great thing for your indoor/outdoor dog. I have a chihuahua and got the smallest sized door. She learned to use it very quickly and can come and go as she pleases. This is especially good when she is having digestive problems in the middle of the night. Instead of going on the carpet, which was her only choice before, she now goes outside to do that. It's also great for not having to open and close the door over and over and over. I think it actually saves electricity!!

cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

amelia88 Well-Known Member

We don't have a pet door, we just have a sliding door in our living room that leads out to our yard. When Jojo needs to go out he just taps on the glass and then we open the door for him! :)

He's good about letting us know that he needs to go out, so that definitely makes our lives easier! :)

amelia88, Jul 1, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I don't think a pet door is appropriate for our dogs because we are limiting their access to the doorway. We want them to just stay inside the house. And what's good is that they ask permission if they want to go out, they would bark and run to the door when we react. There are toads and frogs in the garden and I am afraid that our dogs would chase those creatures which have poison on their skin. That's the main reason why we confine our dogs inside the house.

Corzhens, Jul 1, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't have a pet door since my winter can be too brutal and the heat bill will be astronomical when it is not seal tight. Our dining room has a sliding door, that leads to the outside, Capone just let us know when he needs to go out. He will run to us and whines, and run back to the glass door.

IcyBC, Jul 1, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

claudine Well-Known Member

We don't have a pet door. Most doors in my parents' house are very old, thick, and heavy. I open them for Homer whenever he wants to go outside.

claudine, Jul 8, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

Lately I have been sleeping at my parent's home as they are in their 90's and need the extra attention. They have a pet door for the cat. Back at our home we have a pet door for the cat and dog. A couple of nights ago, I guess my dog was missing me. She left her Daddy and walked the 300 yards down to my folks house, came, into the dark house, found her way to my bedroom and got in bed with me. Stayed for the rest of the night. I wasn't really happy about it, because we have wild predators out here where we leave and they come out at night. More training...

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
Ask a Question