Do you wash your hands after touching your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jan 24, 2014.

1. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

It depends on what I'll be doing next. If I am going to eat or prepare food then I'll wash my hands. If I'm going to sweep the floor or do some other chore I might not. Our dog is also mostly indoors so I'm not very concerned that she's going to be exposing our family to loads of germs.

trishgl, Mar 22, 2014
  2. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hehehe, yeah, I think having OCD plays a big role in not wanting to share our bed with our loved dogs. I'm more concerned about cats, because of the toxoplasma bacteria, since I plan to start a family once I get married, but this is a source of concern for me... specially when I get pregnant :confused: It's a fact our pets carry bacteria :( Some are worse than others tho.

Trellum, Mar 24, 2014
  3. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be a source of concern for me, too. On the other hand, I heard that children who grow up with animals are healthier than those, who don't have any pets:)
    I dreamed of owning a dog or a cat when I was a kid.

claudine, Apr 4, 2014
  4. claudine

Yeah, that's true, kids who have pets are healthier, but pregnant women shouldn't handle pets during that time... exposition to certain bacterias can harm the developing baby. Quite scary actually :eek:

Trellum, Apr 4, 2014
  5. claudine

To be honest, I had no idea that pregnant women shouldn't handle pets:eek: This really is scary! I don't know what would I do if I was expecting a baby. I can't imagine avoiding Homer for nine months:( I'm sure he'd miss me and I'd miss him too!

claudine, Apr 9, 2014
  6. claudine

Well, you don't have to avoid him :) You just need not to clean his... well, when he goes to do his business. If you have a cat then someone needs to clean the little box for you at that time. Because the risk with a cat is bigger, specially if you let him go out.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2014
  7. claudine

Oh, I understand now:p
    I don't plan to get pregnant anytime soon, but even if something unexpected happened, I guess I wouldn't have to worry, because Homer doesn't want me to walk him anyway:confused: Lately, he wants to go for walks only with my father. Whenever I try to take him out, he lies on the pavement and refuses to move. It's pretty embarrassing, I saw my neighbor laughing at us:rolleyes:

claudine, Apr 16, 2014
  8. claudine

Awww! Your Homer it's a bit stubborn, isn't he? :) I say it because he refuses to move when you want to walk him. My dogs don't are who walks them as long as someone do walk them. Your homer is very special :)

Trellum, Apr 16, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  9. claudine

Homer is extremely stubborn:confused: If he doesn't want to be walked by someone, he'll lie flat on the ground and he won't move. Like I mentioned, it's embarrassing, but I must say that it's also pretty hilarious:pYorkshire Terriers are so picky!

claudine, May 1, 2014
  10. claudine

Oh, he sounds like a really stubborn boy! Uhm, I have seen that very same behavior in dogs that were being walked by their own, but felt too tired to be walked. I bet you'd like to be able to walk it with no problems, or you don't really mind who walks him? I ask because I lately don't mind who walks my dogs... as long as they get their daily walk.

Trellum, May 1, 2014
  11. claudine

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Not every single time but if I am going to eat or touch someone else then it is something that I do.

firelily99, May 1, 2014
  12. claudine

I truly like walking Homer, but I'm really busy, so, to be honest, it's quite convenient for me that he prefers to be walked by my father, lol. I'm not jealous at all. Being Homer's favorite person is not easy:p

claudine, May 15, 2014
  13. claudine

I hear ya! I don't care who walks my dog either, as long as they get their walks :) Sadly I don't get a lot help in that department, but if I did that would be such a huge help! It's great your dad likes to get involved like that!

Trellum, May 15, 2014
  14. claudine

My father doesn't have any other choice, lol, Homer chose him:p When it's time for a walk, Homer sits in front of him and starts sighing and looking at him intensely. It's pretty hilarious:)

claudine, May 15, 2014
  15. claudine

Lol! Ow, that Homer sounds like a really stubborn boy, isn't he? It sounds like he must always get what he wants and he does most of the time ;) Glad your dad is a patient person and enjoys walking him :)

Trellum, May 15, 2014
  16. claudine

Yes, Homer is the most stubborn dog I've ever met;) Before we got him, my father had always repeated that he doesn't want to walk any dogs. Now, he's a different person, Homer has changed him;) Every day, they go for really long walks together and I think that they both enjoy it:)

claudine, May 28, 2014
  17. claudine

Hahaha, that reminded me of my grandma before getting their dog! My grandma didn't like dogs, but she had such a soft spot for my oldest sister, so much she allowed her to get a poodle! She said she'd never let a dog sleep inside, but that changed with that dog!

Trellum, May 28, 2014
  18. claudine

Having a dog changes everything:) Since I got Homer, I became more responsible and tolerant. Not to mention that I'm much happier and never lonely.
    Of course my room isn't as clean as it used to be and there are dog toys everywhere, but it doesn't bother me. I love my little Yorkie:)

claudine, Jan 8, 2015
  19. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I feel like I wash my hands most of the times after doing anything with my dogs. Plus, I am always in the kitchen doing something so I don't think twice about it. My girls spend most of their time indoors and one would just like to be able to access my bed whenever she chooses to. I try not to encourage it but she's really smart and knows how to work on my heart. Because I know she likes the couch and the bed I try to give her lots of "baths" to keep her clean. Even with all that I still wash my hands after most interactions.

Winterybella, Jan 19, 2015
  20. claudine

trinden Active Member

Yes i do.Regardless of how clean you think you dog is you still need to wash your hands.Actually this rule applies to anything you touch..it's called cross contamination

trinden, Feb 1, 2015
Ask a Question