Do you think your dog sees ghosts?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kinser, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

My kids are always joking that our dogs see ghosts because they will appear to "see" or react to something that isn't there, like by staring intently staring up at the ceiling, etc. Anyway, I know there's a paranormal show on Animal Planet about animals and ghosts, but what do you think? IF there are ghosts, are animals more attuned to sensing them? I'm a skeptic by nature and don't believe in ghosts (until I see one myself, that is), but in the case that they DO exist, and my animals are sensing them, I'm perfectly happy to remain oblivious. Has your pet ever made you seriously wonder if he or she has seen or sensed the paranormal?

kinser, Apr 25, 2012
  2. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

I think I could say that dogs have better senses than us and could see or heard "things" we cannot see or hear. Our past dogs seems to make me wonder what actually bothering them when it seems nothing to be bothered based on their barks and actions.

zararina, Apr 25, 2012
  3. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

If ghosts were to exist, then yes, I'd expect animals to be able to sense that more.

Realistically, their sense are so much more sensitive than ours, so I'm sure your dogs are just hearing the house settling or critters crawling, etc, that you can't actually hear. We have our "ghost" named after years of our cat doing the same thing, haha.

Jessi, Apr 26, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I believe that dogs can see things that we don't. After all they can hear things that we don't and, of course, smell things that we don't. So why can't they see things that we don't? However I am not sure if what the dogs see are ghosts.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
  5. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I agree - I think mine are just crazy and see things that truly aren't there, LOL. My German shepherd does go crazy over any kind of flashing light or shadow. Or they might be reacing to something they heard that we can't. Ghosts? I don't think so. At least I hope not.

kinser, Apr 26, 2012
  6. kinser

Why do you hope not? I know that ghosts are generally depicted as ugly and frightening. There's no reason why all ghosts have to look like that. There could actually be some very nice ghosts out there.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
  7. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Like Casper the Friendly Ghost!

[​IMG]

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
  8. kinser

That's a friendly ghost alright. I think if any dog were to meet Casper, it wouldn't be barking. It would be more likely to be wagging its tail off or rolling over for a tummy rub.

Victor Leigh, Apr 28, 2012
  9. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, but how would I be sure if its intentions? I'd just rather remain oblivious.

kinser, Apr 28, 2012
  10. kinser

Strange that we are generally afraid of ghosts. Could it not be also possible that ghosts are afraid of us, too?

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  11. kinser

kristyleann Member

I'm a skeptic too, but yeah...sometimes my dog will stop dead in her tracks and start staring at nothing. It freaks me out lol. One time she was sitting on the couch with me and just started staring straight up into the air like something was floating above us. It really does make you wonder if they see something that we don't.

kristyleann, May 2, 2012
  12. kinser

I don't wonder. I am very sure that dogs can see things which we can't. After all they can smell and hear things which we can't.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  13. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that my little Homer doesn't see any ghosts. If he did, he would bark like crazy all the time because he hates visitors. When he sees somebody, he either barks at him to scare him, or barks at him to encourage him to play:p

claudine, Aug 7, 2013
  14. kinser

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

There are a lot of evil people that have passed away, so their ghosts would be evil too.

I'd rather be a skeptic than consider that Hitler and Dr. Mengele are wandering around in ghost form.

ACSAPA, Aug 7, 2013
  15. kinser

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't think so, because supposedly ghosts can possess people and there are allegedly people who have woken up with wounds that were inflicted by ghosts.

If ghosts existed, people couldn't really do anything to them except maybe an exorcism, so I don't think they would be afraid of us.

ACSAPA, Aug 7, 2013
  16. kinser

I also don't think that ghosts would be scared of us if they existed. I think that they would be jealous, because it's so good to be alive:D
    Anyway, my Homer is barking right now. We are home alone. It's kind of creepy, because I haven't heard any noises and I have no idea what made him so angry:eek:

claudine, Sep 9, 2013
  17. kinser

TheBrit Active Member

I'm not so sure they see ghosts but I do believe they have some sort of sixth sense. Waiting at the door for the owner to walk in before the car arrives in the drive is the favourite.
    Whether they "see" spirits I'm not sure, if there are such things, but certainly they would "sense" ones presence in the room.

TheBrit, Sep 19, 2013
  18. kinser

I agree about the sixth sense. It always surprises me. Homer really waits at the door before we come back home. I've seen it many times already. He is never wrong. I don't know, maybe he just hears us coming, but it's still weird.

claudine, Sep 21, 2013
  19. kinser

trishgl Well-Known Member

Since animals have senses so much keener than ours I would expect that they can feel them. I know that there are times our dog behaves like there is someone else in the room when there isn't anybody else. She would hide under the stairs which is not normal for her. There would also be nights when she would insist that she sleep with us on the 2nd floor of the house when normally she would sleep on the carpet in the living room which is on the 1st floor.

trishgl, Sep 28, 2013
  20. kinser

Yesterday, Homer insisted on sleeping in my room without any obvious reason. I agree that it was a little weird, but I'm sure that there is an explanation. Who knows, maybe he simply heard something from the outside that I wasn't able to hear and he got scared. Or maybe he just needed company:)

claudine, Sep 29, 2013
Ask a Question