Do you have to show proof of registration?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Nov 2, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Do you have to show proof of registration of your dog each year? No one used to bug me about it, until one of my neighbors called the cops on me for my dog "being outside too long". The cop didn't seem too concerned about it. He just wanted to make sure my dog was up to date on her vaccines, had fresh water, had shelter to stay warm, and that she was registered. Now, I get something in the mail every year where I have to show proof that she is registered. What a pain.

dashboardc33, Nov 2, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

megsy23 Member

We registered both of our dogs because someone came around knocking door to door. They told us that if anyone found out we didn't have registration then they could take them away. I'd get it just to be safe. It is kind of pricy. I think it's $50 where I live but I'm not sure. It is annoying but I see why they do it.

megsy23, Nov 2, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is vaccinated and micro-chipped which is required by law here since last year. The local council also requires you to register your dog. Mishka is an outlaw and isn't registered with the council. We live miles away from anyone and all the dogs I've had for 30 years have all been outlaws.:p

argon_0, Nov 2, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

Here a dog must wear the registration tag and the rabies vaccination tag. So, I don't think they inquire unless the tags aren't on a dog's collar. Our registration follows the rabies vaccination. The first vaccination is a one year registration. But then, the next year you can get a 3 year rabies vaccination which comes with a 3 year registration.

I don't mind paying the fee. The money is used to maintain the local county animal shelter. As their funds are always getting cut, I figure they can use the money. It's very cheap here. If the dog is spayed/neutered, you get a discount. I think Misha's 3 year registration fee was something like $6. Beats the $50 fine!

Also, in my area if you do not have the registration and you dog bites someone, it is an automatic quarantine because they don't have proof of rabies vaccination on file. I certainly wouldn't want Misha taken from me for any length of time.

Melody, Nov 3, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

I had to check out the annual fees for our council registration on-line. They ask $24.50 for a sterilized dog and $68 if it isn't.

Yeek! :eek: There is a maximum fine of $650 and if it's an un-chipped dog, $1300.
    Mishka is an outlaw dog alright. :D

argon_0, Nov 3, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

In Malaysia and Thailand, all dogs which are vaccinated get a collar tag. They change the color of the tag every year, so that it can be identified from a distance. As long as a dog is wearing the collar tag, it would not be taken in when the dog catchers come around.

Victor Leigh, Nov 3, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, wow! For once, California doesn't have the highest fees for something! I have never worried about paying the registration because it was so reasonable. I can't believe the fines in your area.

Victor, each state has different laws pertaining to registration. California has the same thing with different color tags for different years.

Melody, Nov 4, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope! We're required to keep them up to date, but the only time we're questioned is if there is an incident of some sort, like a dog bite.

So what do you do when it comes in the mail? Do you have to take the dog somewhere or go show the papers to an official? It sounds like your area has a registry so that once you're in the system, they continuously follow you still.

Jessi, Nov 4, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

In Thailand, the people there are generally speaking much more dog-friendly than the people in Malaysia. I can see stray dogs in just about every lane and the stray dogs are semi-adopted by the people living in the lane. When it comes to vaccinations, I have seen people paying the vet out of their own pockets to do it for the strays in their areas. Sometimes I see my vet doing it on his own without being paid by anyone.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer has registration proof, he is vacinated and micro-chipped (just in case. I've heard terrible stories about stolen dogs). In Poland it's not very expensive.

claudine, Nov 4, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

In our rural district, dog registration is probably more of a revenue raiser. There is a very small dog lock up but the dogs are generally returned with another cost for every day they are incarcerated. The most unpopular job is the dog catcher and there is a high turnover for the position.I guess there isn't much to do in our quiet municipality.
    There are problems with dogs killing sheep occasionally but this is often sorted out by the farmer placing a notice in a newspaper and then shooting any dog on their private property.:(

argon_0, Nov 4, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

Jessi, I get a postcard from Animal Control about two months before Misha's license expires. Then, I take her to the vet to get her rabies vaccination. Once that is done, I have to mail in the fee, her rabies certificate, and the certificate of proof that she has been spayed (those my veterinary office supply when she has her shot). They keep a copy of records on file with her license renewal.

So, yes, once the dog is registered, they will follow you--or her, as it were. Most of the time there is no problem. But, if your dog gets loose or your dog bites someone and it is reported, then you have a mess on your hands if the dog wasn't registered. It causes a lot of problems if the dog bites someone and the rabies certificate is not in their files. I think there is a 10 day quarantine and they charge you for the time spent in the kennel.

Melody, Nov 5, 2012
  13. dashboardc33

tajnz Well-Known Member

In New Zealand dog owners are given a special registration tag to put on their dogs collar. Like in Malaysia the tags change color each year. If a dog is out in public without it's registration tag it may be taken by animal control. :eek: Registration here probably is a revenue raiser for city councils but it's also a way to track dangerous dogs ect.. E.g If a dog bites a human it can be tracked down to it's owners address.

tajnz, Nov 5, 2012
  14. dashboardc33

Well, registration is such a big thing here. The main thing is the vaccination. As for tracking down the owners in case of accidents, it's usually not necessary because owners who vaccinate their dogs usually don't let their dogs run loose in the first place.

Victor Leigh, Nov 5, 2012
  15. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ohhhh! That's a good idea. We can get tags with the registration number put on them, but they aren't a specific collar or even a specific shape. So you would have to physically check the dog out and punch in the number to identify whether it's current. I like the idea of having them color coded instead.

Jessi, Nov 5, 2012
  16. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

They really require you to chip your dog? I am glad that isn't the law in our state. I don't agree with this law at all. I don't feel that the state should control what you do with your dog, as long as you are not harming it of course. If you do not want to chip your dog, I don't think that you should. Perhaps they can chip the tag on the collar, but I don' think they should force you to chip your dog. You can always take your pet's collar off of them, you can't ever take the chip out of them if you don't want to be tracked.

dashboardc33, Nov 5, 2012
  17. dashboardc33

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's required to register your dogs in Ontario unless someone complains. I know my neighbour had to register his because another neighbour complained that they were large and noisy - but I don't think they would have had to if no one had complained.The animal control just come to the house to ensure that your animal has proper living conditions and that there is no cause for alarm. I consider this to be a good thing in the case of mistreated dogs - at least there is someone that is available to watch out for those who cannot watch out for themselves. As far as I know, the microchip thing is also optional here. I don't really think there are that many rules concerning dog owners here aside from having to have a sign on your fence if you have a big dog - for safety reasons.

bellahpereira, Nov 6, 2012
  18. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I didn't mind paying the fees either, especially for the proof of rabies shot. It saves the person who got bit from getting a whole series of painful shots. The registration could help get the dog returned to you if it gets lost as well. I'm not sure how effective it is with cops, but I've seen instances where neighbors complained about someone else's dog acting up and they would just come through the neighborhood, find it, and shoot it. I'm hoping if they at least see the dog is properly registered and up to date with all of this shots, that this was genuinely an accident if it got loose, and think twice before putting it down.

OhioTom76, Nov 6, 2012
  19. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

In our city, dogs are required to be registered once a year. The reason for this is because if in case they get caught, owners won't have to pay an expensive fine for them (about $50 for the first offense) to get them back.

Registration approximately costs $1.25 for each dog. Government assigned workers often go door to door with the forms you are supposed to fill out. Once your dog is registered, you get a free rabies vaccination with that but you'll have to bring your dogs to the pound (yes, in the city, it is still called the dog pound).

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
  20. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wow, that is cheap! And you get a rabies vaccination, too? And they come to you for the registration part instead of you having to go in for that part? Now that's service!

Jessi, Nov 8, 2012
Ask a Question