Do you ever want to give your dog a good whipping?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, May 7, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have to confess before I knew much about dogs, I figured that perhaps they needed a good flogging at times when they did naughty things. At the very least I figured a good stern talking to. On occasions I have seen my son be a little rough with one or the other of the dogs and while they can provoke even me, I keep telling him to approach it differently.

What about you? Do you ever want to give them a good beating or some very harsh words? Do you even think it is effective?

Winterybella, May 7, 2015
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

No, absolutely never. In my opinion people who beat dogs are as cruel as people who beat children. Violence is always wrong.
    I sometimes yell at Homer if he does something really naughty, but it doesn't happen often. I'm a very calm person;)

claudine, May 8, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I sometimes yelled at my previous dog when he was trying to do something naughty. There were times I spank him very softly, but that's it. I think he thought I was playing, lol. So it wasn't such an effective thing. That dog was so silly. As for Frida, no NEVER, she is so calm and sweet. She doesn't need me to correct anything. She is the perfect dog in every sense.

Trellum, May 8, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. Winterybella

My son, gets really offended when the dogs are not responding to him and sometimes he does this rough talk threatening thing or rough supposed play with them that scares them and then he complains that they are not coming to him. He then says, I have stolen the love but I tell him he scares them when he does what he thinks is harmless.

Winterybella, May 8, 2015
  5. Winterybella

Hahahaha, gosh, that sounds a lot like my step dad, he did that all the time with our dog. It was kinda funny to see, but the dog rarely got scared, he was more like ignoring him. Dogs are very sensitive :) Maybe if he changes a little and starts threatening like that for a while they might come to him :) Breaking the vicious circle is tough tho.

Trellum, May 9, 2015
  6. Winterybella

I want the whole world to be like Zola. No matter the rough treatment she gets, she always forgives and forgets. That's her finest quality. I have watched her disappear because of a look or a shout from anyone and before you know it, she back with you like nothing happened. I love that about her. I keep telling my son he's too rough and they can't tell the difference sometimes if it's play or serious stuff.

Winterybella, May 9, 2015
  7. Winterybella

ilovemybooboo New Member

Absolutely not!!!!
    People don't realise that they tend to scold them when they are bad but then don't praise when they are good! For example, your dog chews your shoes and of course you scold them right? but later on your dog chews on something its meant to like its toy and you forget to praise!!

So...
    If your dog is chewing your shoes take the shoes off him/her, say NO then give him a toy and praise when he chews that

I hope that helps and I hope I made sense :)

ilovemybooboo, May 11, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  8. Winterybella

You did make sense and I think I have been doing an excellent job of this. It's something I learned early in the game once I had dogs join me in the house. I have to confess recently that I had a stern talk with one of my dogs and I don't want to speak too soon, but I think she's getting the point. Another truth is that I have wanted to give them a spanking on the odd occasion but I never do.

Winterybella, May 11, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Hello, Ilovemybooboo! It's very nice to meet you.
    You make a lot of sense, I agree with every word you said. Dogs are sweet and loving creatures. All they want is to make us happy. If you show them what you expect from them, they'll do it. And they love being praised:)

claudine, May 11, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Grimp Member

Yes it is proven that inflicting violence on dogs tends to actually make them behave worse in the long term as their fear insticts tend to override their thought processes and they will act very strange indeed!

Grimp, May 13, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Exactly! Dogs are like children. Beating them won't teach them anything. It will only make them scared and angry. It would break my heart if my Homer was scared of me.

claudine, May 14, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Oh she must be such a sweetheart then. I think my mom's dog is just the same, he rarely gets scared when my dad shouts at him. He is not very afraid of him. But then dad dog doesn't get easily scared of anything or anyone.

Trellum, May 14, 2015
  13. Winterybella

Zo is a delight most of the time. The only time I get mad at her is if she is being too greedy and of if she decides she wants to be too special to go outside and then wants to get me up at 3am. She has been behaving very well most days and she seems in awe of Ginger who seems to have taken over. At the end of day no matter what you do to Zola, she does not hold a grudge. I am at work and I am missing her. I think she is probably praying I am home in a hurry.

Winterybella, May 16, 2015
  14. Winterybella

Mel Member

Never. Dogs do not know the difference between 'right' and 'wrong' so disciplining them for doing something 'wrong' is useless and cruel. Modify their behavior through training using treats, always.

Mel, May 17, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Aww!!!! Zola is the chihuahua mix right? The yellow one? She must have such a gentle soul, most dogs do, cats are a bit different ;) My Bob hods a grudge when I take too long to get home, he gets anxious when he knows I'm leaving, then when I come after a few hours he acts like I don't exist. LOL. If I get too long to get home I get it worse :p He once ignored me a whole night, lol.

Trellum, May 17, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  16. Winterybella

Haha, that's so hilarious!:D
    One of the many things that I love about Homer is that he forgives me everything very quickly. He never holds a grudge. Dogs are the sweetest creatures in the whole world:)

claudine, May 17, 2015
  17. Winterybella

You are right. It is hilarious. None of my girls are that serious with me. Even my Remy the scardey cat. In her case it's mostly an ignore you would get but not any serious vexation. She might be too scared to hold a grudge. As for Ginger I can tell she does't care if Good Friday comes on a Saturday so scold her or not it's business as usual and she'll put that business wherever she pleases. She is improving I must say.

Winterybella, May 17, 2015
  18. Winterybella

Yeah, they indeed are, Clauds! Dogs are too gentle, you know? Very sweet and open, cats are more like people... specifically people who like to play stupid mind games, lol. Gosh, I hate that kind of people! Like those who stop talking to you all of a sudden without explain why, but the sad part is that they're playing that silly game with themselves ;)

Trellum, May 18, 2015
  19. Winterybella

I don't like people like that either. But I love cats! I would definitely get one if Homer didn't hate them so much. I don't want to annoy him;) He's sweet, but I don't think he'd forgive me taking care of his biggest enemy:p

claudine, May 19, 2015
  20. Winterybella

Cats re great :) They just act like that because it's their nature I think, some people act that way just because they're idiots :eek: Cats are the most interesting domestic animals ever. What breed of cat do you like most? Long or short haired? I personally love the Norwegian forest cats :)

Trellum, May 19, 2015
Ask a Question