Do you dress your dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I don't dress up my dogs everyday but I do put sweaters on them when it is cold. My Bitsy won't go out in the cold without her sweater on. How much good it does I don't know. Seems like to me it wouldn't do much good considering their feet are exposed but I guess it makes us all feel better about the dogs having to go out in the cold. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Feb 13, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

We had tried to dress our dogs but they do not feel comfortable with it. They will bite it and try their best to remove it and so we just don't do that anymore.

zararina, Feb 13, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

amy005 Well-Known Member

I only dress my dog when we are going outside in the cold. I keep booties on him so his feet are protected from the cold/snow and I keep a little jacket on him to keep him warm. Yes dogs have fur but it is not always warm enough for certain temperatures!

amy005, Feb 13, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

I agree! Mina are all short haired and it gets cold in the winter. I don't go as far as to put booties on them because I know they wouldn't keep them on.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 13, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I had a medium sized terrier and lived in the land of ice and snow then in Chicagoland, so in really cold weather put a sweater on her. I have a cat that I dressed in a bat costume for Halloween...does that count?

SallyintheValley, Feb 15, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

I never dress my dogs. I believe they consider their coat as their dress and they could adjust to warm or cold weather through their coats. Although they look really cute in doggy outfit. But I hope people would have a sense not to dress them up during hot weather. And as for cold weather, we usually give our dogs a cover, say, a towel or my used up clothes because they also feel cold hugging themselves tightly like in fetal position.

King Browny, Feb 17, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

summerRain Well-Known Member

I am fond of adding simple accessories to my dogs like dog tags and hats. They are comfortable with it 'cause I trained them to wear it since they were puppies. It is usually made from light materials for their maximum comfort.

summerRain, Feb 17, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

Cat New Member

Isn't that why dogs and cats have fur? Isn't that a coat? LOL

Cat, Mar 14, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

The weather here is hot most of the time. So there's not much reason to dress up a dog. Of course, that doesn't deter some owners from doing it. The pet stores here even sell doggie t-shirts which fit snugly over a small dog.

Victor Leigh, Mar 14, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

I suppose but when you put your little short haired weenie dog out and all they do is shiver I think it might be time to help mother nature out a little. It gets cold here in the winter and if your dog is used to being in the house going outside is going to be colder than they are used to. Now if I had a dog with a thick coat then I would definitely not put a coat on them.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 15, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

Right. I read somewhere that long-haired dogs were bred for countries with cold weather and short-haired dogs were bred for countries with hot weather. However, we are now so global so those definitions do not apply anymore. Well, for the short-haired dogs in cold weather, the solution is simpler. Just put on a coat. For the long-haired dogs in hot weather, what? Take off their coats?

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2012
  12. SheWolfSilver

Ummmm Maybe instead of taking off the coat you could provide a little kiddie swimming pool so they can cool off when ever they want?

SheWolfSilver, Mar 16, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

Some dogs (like this Chow Chow my friend talked about) are wise enough not to get out of an air conditioned room or to simply stay put in front of a cooler or electric fan.

King Browny, Mar 17, 2012
  14. SheWolfSilver

I think that's the way it should be. People in hot countries who keep long-haired breeds from cold countries must be prepared to install air-conditioning for the dogs. However I have seen Saint Bernards sweating it out in the hot, tropical sun. How pitiful!

Victor Leigh, Mar 18, 2012
Ask a Question