Do you celebrate your dogs birthday?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Pocs, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I do in a sense. We don't have a party and invited the other dogs, like I've seen other people do. I make a dog flavored cake. If you can call it that. Chopped liver formed into a cupcake shape. Sometimes we sing happy birthday, sometimes we don't. But we always make sure to let them know it's their special day.

Pocs, Aug 12, 2012
    Pippin likes this.
  2. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

We don't, but I think that's probably because we don't know when any of our animals were really born. Sometimes we have a general idea, but that's about it. We celebrate Christmas with them instead, like I said in the other thread. :)

Jessi, Aug 12, 2012
  3. Pocs

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Nah, we don't celebrate our dog's birthday. I know what day it is, but we don't do anything special for her that day. I don't think they really know. We do celebrate Christmas with her, but it is more for the kid's sake. We will usually get a huge bag of dog food, a dog toy or a special flavored bone and wrap it up to put under the tree. The kids are the ones to open it and will usually get more excited. It gives something for our dog to chew on or play with while we are opening up presents I guess

dashboardc33, Aug 12, 2012
  4. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

argon_0, Aug 13, 2012
  5. Pocs

haopee Well-Known Member

Awww, this is just so adorable. Mishka has a party hat!

I give them presents when I have money... so I guess that's like saying I give them something even without the birthday.

On the day of their birthday (or make shift birthday), I do prepare something nice. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I get to give them fat juicy bones with marrow inside.

haopee, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Pocs

tajnz Well-Known Member

Growing up my family always celebrated our dogs birthdays. We'd mark the date we adopted them from the shelter on the calender and celebrate it by giving them a few special treats and taking them for a long car ride (they loved car rides) and a walk at the beach or dog park. Oh and we humans would eat a special dinner in celebration too. :)

My family still celebrates the birthdays of our furry friends who are no longer with us too. We just make a note to get together and remember the memories we shared with our dogs.:D

tajnz, Sep 3, 2012
  7. Pocs

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

We sure did, usually with some new toys and a trip to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. I would also be pretty generous with the table food on those days.

That's a good idea celebrating their birthdays after they passed, though I would personally find it to be a bit hard.

OhioTom76, Sep 13, 2012
  8. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ice cream for the dogs??? Or just for the family to have an outing all together?

And if it's for the dogs, doesn't it make them sick?

Jessi, Sep 13, 2012
  9. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

I celebrate Homer's birthday. I don't trow any party because it wouldn't be fun for him I suspect, but he always gets an extra treat and a big hug.

claudine, Sep 14, 2012
  10. Pocs

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I don't celebrate my dogs birthdays. I have thought about celebrating it with something small like a boiled egg or some yogurt. I would have to look up the dates but that would be fun.

iluvmario, Oct 23, 2012
  11. Pocs

pafjlh Well-Known Member

No, we don't celebrate our dogs birthdays. We have been known to think about how long we have had our dogs. Like others on this board, I didn't actually have my dog when it was actually born.

pafjlh, Oct 25, 2012
  12. Pocs

Trellum Well-Known Member

I didn't do it before, but do it now. I always celebrate my girl's birthday, not like I throw a big party or anything, I mean, I don't even do that for myself, lol. But I do like to buy her something, and get her a nice carrot cup cake!!

Trellum, Apr 12, 2015
  13. Pocs

Do you bake carrot cup cakes by yourself? If yes, could you please share the recipe for them? I'd love to give Homer one, he loves the taste of carrots:)

claudine, Apr 12, 2015
  14. Pocs

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I only know the exact date of one of my dogs: Zola. When my cat Twinkle was alive however I was planning a "big do" around the time of Zola's birth which would also have been a welcoming party for the cat. When Twinkled passed it knocked all the excitement out of the planning and since that time I have done nothing special. I remember dressing them up at least once for Zola's birthday and giving them treats as gifts. If all goes well, I will acknowledge Zola's birth this year with special gifts for all the others.

Winterybella, Apr 12, 2015
  15. Pocs

I don't bake those cupcakes, but it's the same recipe you would use for a carrot cake :) I have a very nice recipe at home, I will post it tomorrow when I get home.

Trellum, Apr 13, 2015
  16. Pocs

That sounds like a really nice idea. Kudos to you for celebrating your Zola birthday this year, am glad to hear you are finally moving on from that painful chapter in your life. I'm sure all your girls will have so much fun!

Trellum, Apr 13, 2015
  17. Pocs

Thank you, it would be very helpful:) I'm sure Homer will love carrot cupcakes!
    A few years ago, I tried to bake carrot cookies for my boyfriend, but they turned out disgusting. My recipe must have been wrong.

claudine, Apr 13, 2015
  18. Pocs

Winterybella Well-Known Member

http://www.cup-cakes.com/dog-cupcakes/

I thought I'd do what I do best and that's search to see what I could find in the way of treats for the dogs. I was suppose to be looking for carrot cupcakes when I saw these delights I could not help but share.Then I stopped and went to stay on point and came up with this.

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/dog-cupcakes.html

These sound like things my husband would eat. He has a way of eating the dog treats..I don't know what that means:).

Winterybella, Apr 13, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  19. Pocs

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Anne! The last recipe sounds very good, even for a human, lol. It's super dog healthy... the recipe I had in mind might not be healthy for dogs, but this one sure is :)

Trellum, Apr 14, 2015
  20. Pocs

Anne has already shared a very dog friendly recipe to make a carrot cup cake, but if you still want my recipe, here it is:

2 and half cups all purpose flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 and half cup mascabado sugar
    2 cups grated carrots
    1 cup diced pieapple
    Half cup pecans
    Some salt
    2 large eggs
    1 and half cups oil
    cinnamon

First you have to sift the flour, after that you need to mix all the dry ingredients very well. In a bowl you mix all the wet ingredients: pineapple, carrots, oil, eggs, etc. Now you have to toast the pecans in a pan, you need to add some of the mascabado sugar to them and just toast them. Be careful they don't burn, because we just want them to toast them and for the sugar to stick to them.

Once this is done all you have to do is mix ALL the ingredient together! First add the pecans to the bowl with the wet ingredients, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.. slowly. Spread some butter on the mold for the cake, add a bit flour to coat all the inside of the mold. Turn on the oven, set it at 180 C.

Add the mix to the mold, bake at 180 C until you get a clean toothpick after sticking it in the middle of the cake... that is how I test when a cake is really done. Buy the cream cheese icing before doing this.

Trellum, Apr 14, 2015
    claudine likes this.
Ask a Question