Do Dogs and Cat Get Along in Your House?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 25, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My sister has a dog and cat. The cat was there first. The dog came in as a puppy. The cat does not like people and barely tolerates my sister. She loves the dog though. She'll let the dog do anything to her.

I've heard people say that dogs and cats don't always live together very well. Some people say their dog terrorizes their cat or their cat gets the better of the dog. Some have to be separated because the situation is so bad.

If you have both, do they get along? Would you consider them friends?

Melody, May 25, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We also have a dog and a cat and they get along well together.
    There are just times that they will have a little fight specially if our dog would like to play with our cat. :p

zararina, May 25, 2012
  3. Melody

remnant Well-Known Member

The dogs and cats that we have reared in our compound have largely adopted a mechanism of live and let live save for a few skirmishes here and there mostly involving puppies and younger dogs. I remember with nostalgia a time when one of our dogs grew up with cats and he could be seen resting his bones with a cat coiled on top of him!

remnant, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Melody

cluckeyo Active Member

My dog came first and is the boss. My cat came as a kitten. They get a long but my dog rules over the cat with a heavy hand. Often my cat will want to play with my dog and my dog will never let this happen. If my cat starts trying to play, he gets snapped at. In all fairness, my dog is small. My cat is twice the size and plays a little rough.

cluckeyo, Aug 17, 2016
  5. Melody

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My cat has died but I have very,very, very fond memories of them getting along just fine. I called them sisters/cousins and the cat would irritate the dogs at times always wanting to play. It was a joy to watch them - funny as hell at times. How we all miss that cat.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2016
  6. Melody

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Pardon me for this but it looks impossible for our dogs to co-exist with a cat in the house. Especially Barbie, our pekingese who is a spoiled brat, she would go into a frenzy when she hears the sound of a cat much more when she sees one. I guess Barbie would kill a cat if ever she would encounter one. As I said, our small dog is a spoiled brat so she cannot be restrained from barking at the cat. No matter how we divert her attention, she would continue barking as long as she feels the presence of a cat nearby (even if she doesn't see).

Corzhens, Aug 17, 2016
  7. Melody

Cheezy Member

Pugs are not that aggressive and are quite playful. They do get along with my cats. My adult dog, Queenie, was given to us as puppy and my cat was just a tiny kitten when I had them together. It was nice seeing the then kitten play with my pup and they grew up as friends. My previous dog was not that gentle and he actually bit a kitten on the head because the playful animal was annoying him.

Cheezy, Aug 17, 2016
Ask a Question