Dandruff, bald spot on tail issue?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by inTHEsane, Jun 3, 2012.

1. inTHEsane

inTHEsane Active Member

Hello, for the longest time [6 years or so that I have had him] my dog suffers from dandruff. Clean otherwise no issues I give him occasional baths but can't seem to keep the dandruff away. It's not really and issue for me, but I imagine it is extra itchy for him, and discouraging from strangers wanting to pet him. Also he has a bald spot that shows up on his tail on and off. Not sure what it is, any suggestions?

inTHEsane, Jun 3, 2012
  2. inTHEsane

King Browny Well-Known Member

Hello!

I read on ehow that dandruff on dogs could be cause by the following:

Dermatomyositis

Dermatomyositis is a skin condition that causes both hair loss and crusty, scaly skin or dandruff. It affects the face, ears and tail of an affected dog and is often aggravated by trauma or exposure to sunlight or other forms of UV light.

Infection

Skin infections can include yeast (malassezia) infections, ringworm and various bacterial infections. Skin infections, known as pyoderma or impetigo, can cause both hair loss and dandruff. They can be treated easily and the unusual hair loss and dandruff will dissipate.

Parasites

Parasites, such as demodectic mites or cheyletiella mites, can cause hair loss and canine dandruff. Cheyletiella mites are known to cause unusual and excessive dandruff in affected dogs, though hair loss may only occur if there is a large mite population present in the skin.

Solar Dermatosis

Dogs who spend any time outdoors may be subject to solar dermatosis. Affected dogs will have a poor skin reaction to the sunlight, which can cause hair loss and scaling. This condition is particularly common on the unpigmented portions of skin or on the noses of certain breeds, such as the shetland sheepdog or the collie.

----

It is advised that the dog be given frequent bathing and brushing to remove the dandruffs. But if besides proper grooming, dandruff is still an issue, your dog needs a visit to its vet to determine if the dandruff is caused by the skin diseases mentioned above or by other issues.

King Browny, Jun 3, 2012
  3. inTHEsane

zararina Well-Known Member

I think the bald spot issue on the tail is related to the old age of the dog. Although I am not so sure about that. I have a dog before with bald spot on her tail when she turns 9 years old and the rest of our dogs that are not in her age or young never had such issue.
    Regarding dandruff, maybe there are dog products specially made for that problem like soap or shampoo.

zararina, Jun 3, 2012
Ask a Question