Companions for your companion.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pshaw Bradley, May 26, 2015.

1. Pshaw Bradley

Pshaw Bradley Member

If I could have one wish in this world, it would be that my dog could say one sentence. I would ask it 'what is your problem man?' and it would say 'I don't know, man' and then we would sit in silence.

I had my white boxer for many years alone, just me and him.

Sometimes he would get lonely and bored, and would sit on his couch and look glum during the dog days of summer. He has his own couch, because he sheds and his hair infiltrates every fiber of any cloth it encounters. And his hair is stark white.

I decided that getting him a dog, and getting that dog its own couch, would give my dog something to do. In my zeal and zest to give my dog a dog friend, I answered the first ad in the paper I saw for a free dog. I pulled up to the address to see this:

[​IMG]

Perfect!

I brought this beagle/pit mix on a leash around my backyard fence so that they could meet....they seemed eager, but not unfriendly, so I gave them both some braunschweiger to set a celebratory mood and allowed them to meet.

My boxer immediately and viciously attacked the smaller dog, as it repeatedly yelped in fear and surprise. No one was hurt, but getting a dog for my dog didn't quite end up like I thought it was going to.

Now I have two bored dogs, sitting on couches and looking glum in the bright springtime, I have to buy gigantic bags of dog food, and they demand to be walked at a certain time every day or else they set aside their burning rivalry and set upon me with aggressive guilt trips and piteous yowling.

Pshaw Bradley, May 26, 2015
  2. Pshaw Bradley

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that! My friend has a very similar problem. He has two Yorkshire Terriers. Unfortunately, they don't like each other and only want to play with him;)
    Give your dogs some time, maybe they'll become friends eventually.

claudine, May 26, 2015
  3. Pshaw Bradley

Trellum Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reaing your story :) I like the way you wrote it, kinda sad at the ending and how things didn't turn out the way you wanted :( So sad they couldn't become friends, but I have heard it's hard for adult dogs to do that.

Trellum, May 28, 2015
  4. Pshaw Bradley

Pshaw Bradley Member

Ah, my dogs act like they hate each other, but it's just an act.

Sometimes the little brown one 'Cho Cho' spends the night at my daughter's house.

When she is gone, my white boxer 'Ralf' is inconsolable. If you ask him 'Where's Cho Cho?' he will go all around the house looking in all the nooks and crannies, and then ask to be let outside, to go look for her.

Pshaw Bradley, May 29, 2015
  5. Pshaw Bradley

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwww!!!!! How sweet!! Lol, it sounds too me like they are letting their pride to get on the way of their friendship, for some odd reason. I hope they manage to show each other's appreciation very soon :) But it's nice to know it's just an act ;)

Trellum, May 29, 2015
  6. Pshaw Bradley

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It's really nice that they are able to be around each other without someone dying. I used to have two alpha females and for the longest time one of them always had to be locked up. When they would go at it you couldn't break it up without getting hurt. As they got older they could be around each other. I just had to watch for the tension.

LilAnn, May 29, 2015
  7. Pshaw Bradley

claudine Well-Known Member

That's so sweet!:) It's funny they act like they don't like each other;) I wonder why they do this. Most dogs are very straightforward.
    Cho Cho is a super cute name!:)

claudine, May 30, 2015
  8. Pshaw Bradley

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I have a different story. My dogs are the perfect companions. Even my shy dog has warmed up to Ginger the latest addition. I have never had a problem with my dogs being friendly towards each other. There are sometimes too friendly. As for the one that has been coming around like I said before I see Zola with some courtship behaviour going on.

I hope things change with the two mentioned by PShaw. I think with some work things will change between them.

Winterybella, May 30, 2015
Ask a Question